Local Beach: Sandy hook
Style: Beginner
Gear: 3.5 ozone imp trainer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nj beginner landboarding spots and kite advice

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:35 am

I have a ozone imp 3.5 that i mastered the controls for and found a landboard (atom 95x)real cheap and was wondering if anyone knew places in nj with enough room to learn/progress on a mountain board before my water lesson in october? And also because I'm a big snowboarder but don't have a high enough budget to get more than one kite yet would a flysurfer viron 2 6m be a good idea for me to practice on water and snowkite in the future until I get the second kite? Or would i be better waiting till after my lesson and getting a full setup? Any additional tips or advice would be greatly appreciated and defenitly not ignored.
Side info I'm 5 10 at 140 pounds and live in central jersey

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Re: Nj beginner landboarding spots and kite advice

Postby rtz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 am

October 11th through October 16th in Wildwood

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:03 pm

rtz wrote:October 11th through October 16th in Wildwood

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55
Thanks for the info. I'm going to st lucia from the 12th to the 19th (which is where I'll be getting my first lessons). so i may go there on the 11th but it will be hard depending on when i get out of work being 2 hours away...

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:06 pm

post a message on the powerkite.com forum there are some nj guys there.

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 pm

I actually didn't know about the power kite forums until i was sent the link about the festival my main goal is to landboard to practice till my lessons but im wondering is it worth it to get the viron 2 so i can practice on the water or should i save money and get a full setup after my lessons? And again thanks for the advice

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi

As for location, Wildwood is still a good location AFTER labor day. Firm wide beaches at low tide. Stay away from beach crowds, which may still require being out early or late.

I would just start with the Imp for your first sessions. Definitely use protective gear (helmet & knee/elbow pads). I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Viron until after your water lessons.

Progression makes a kite landboarding instructional video, which would be good for the self taught. Also, do you have a harness?

Shoot for STEADY winds on the low end (10-15ish) for your first sessions, and be conservative.

If your going to keep with landboarding (in the winter, to avoid freezing water), then you might want to get a depower foil kite like the Viron.

If your using this only as a tool to progress to water, just use your existing gear.

JD

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Jollydriver wrote:Hi

As for location, Wildwood is still a good location AFTER labor day. Firm wide beaches at low tide. Stay away from beach crowds, which may still require being out early or late.

I would just start with the Imp for your first sessions. Definitely use protective gear (helmet & knee/elbow pads). I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Viron until after your water lessons.

Progression makes a kite landboarding instructional video, which would be good for the self taught. Also, do you have a harness?

Shoot for STEADY winds on the low end (10-15ish) for your first sessions, and be conservative.

If your going to keep with landboarding (in the winter, to avoid freezing water), then you might want to get a depower foil kite like the Viron.

If your using this only as a tool to progress to water, just use your existing gear.

JD
Thanks for all the info I've been basically fooling around with my 3.5 for a couple years now but only now got a mountainboard to practice at least basic skills as i know it not only would help me prepare for the lessons but makes it a little easier on the instructor too. As im a big snowboarder i was planning on snow kiting come winter too.
I don't have a harness yet but planned on buying the dakine chameleon because im unsure whether im going to want a seat or waist harness but was told board shorts might be better. Definitely will be checking the progression dvd out been watching a lot of youtube instructables but a professional dvd will probably be best

Return to “Kitesurfing”