Favorite Beaches: Huntington, Pawleys Island, North Myrtle Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: In need
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to Kite Boarding In Myrtle Beach

Postby dheuer28 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 am

Hey guys! I recently moved to myrtle beach and I am extremely interested in kiteboarding. I have been searching for used equipment to start but would greatly appreciate some experienced input. The average wind conditions look to be between 10 - 15 mph. I am 180lbs. Based on this I've seen charts suggesting that I use a 142cm board, and a 12 - 16m kite. Just wanted to know if that is correct and if anyone has input on what brands are best for beginners. I have quite a bit of snowboarding experience and some wake boarding as well. Looking to get into freestyle kiteboarding mostly. Any help would be great! Thank you all!

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various

Re: New to Kite Boarding In Myrtle Beach

Postby BrunoC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:31 am

You are going to need some dedicated light wind gear for sure. Ocean Rodeo Flite in 17 or 14.5 would be a great kite for that wind range then you could get a 12m ocean rodeo prodigy and have a good 2-kite quiver for your area.

For lighter winds, width and rocker are key metrics on the board in addition to length. Was the 142 you mentioned on a specific board or a generic recommendation you came across?

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:32 am

Oh, and make sure you get some lessons. You will pick up the boarding part in no time but it is important to get the safety and kite aspects dialed in as well.

dheuer28
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Myrtle Beach

Postby dheuer28 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Okay awesome! Thank you Bruno! And the board size based on generic recommendations. I am currently looking at a 16 m Liquid force kite http://www.ebay.com/itm/122109781858?eu ... Tags=bu=bu
As far as lessons, they offer them very close to me, so that works out perfect!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:26 pm

dheuer28, you'd be wasting your money on that kite. It is a Liquid Force Havoc, which was a decent kite in its day (I still own one), but it is an older model. More importantly, the "deterioration" of the leading edge looks significant from the photos. The leading edge holds an air bladder that puts lots of pressure on the material. In the photos, it almost looks as if the bladder is exposed (meaning it's a hole or tear, not "deterioration").

My advice: Don't buy anything until you take your lessons. You may be able to get a better deal on newer, better gear from your kite school, and you'll certainly learn more about what's good and what's not so good in equipment choices. Have fun.

dheuer28
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Myrtle Beach

Postby dheuer28 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you FLandOBX! Much appreciated! I kind of figured the same about that kite and I am looking into others and the lesson hopefully within this week!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:56 pm

FLandOBX wrote:My advice: Don't buy anything until you take your lessons. You may be able to get a better deal on newer, better gear from your kite school, and you'll certainly learn more about what's good and what's not so good in equipment choices. Have fun.
Dheur28 - I see that our Flite light wind kite came up in the convo and that FlandOBX is recommending you also look at lessons. Drop me a PM if you like and I can connect you to a local school that teaches on our gear. Many, many threads here on how great the Flite is so I will leave that to your own research but happy to help as and when I can.

JZ

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm

I agree that the Havoc is not worth it. A tiny bit more money and your going to be into something much better. Do the lessons first and get some quidance. If they are all about their stuff and its out of the price range, shop around and ask for opinions. buying used stuff from a shop is generally a sure thing on value.

Return to “Kitesurfing”