Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hey guys/girls. New to kiting. Need a learning spot this year.

Forum for kitesurfers
kxthor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Lake Charles
Gear: none yet, soon
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hey guys/girls. New to kiting. Need a learning spot this year.

Postby kxthor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Whats up people? My name is Nick and I live in Lake Charles (noone knows where this is so about 2 and a half hours from the Galveston/Houston area.) I would like to learn this year but I was talking with a local shop and they said the wind normally dies in June. South Padre is 8 hours away and they say that is a good learning spot but I would rather not wear a wetsuit and not have to wait until next march before I learn. So it looks like maybe Florida is a good option? (I'm 6 and a half hours from Pensacola, are there any good schools around there?) I will probably be ready around september? I just ordered my trainer and it should come in Wednesday, I ordered a HQ Rush 3 meter. I want to learn that as much as possible and then go take lessons.

I'm not sure if this part matters. I'm 5-10 and about 173 lbs. I dont have any surfing background but I have done a good bit of kneeboarding and not much wakeboarding so pretty much going to be starting from the beginning.

Thanks for your help everyone.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Hey guys/girls. New to kiting. Need a learning spot this year.

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Welcome, Nick. Glad to have you entering this great sport.

Florida is also the doldrums through the summer. It will pick up again in October-November. This is not to say you can't catch a decent day or two in Pensacola during the summer, but it's a long drive for you just to get "skunked" by the wind. (I know where Lake Charles is.)

Hatteras Island, NC is your best bet for the summer months if you're willing to travel to a great USA learning spot. If you're intent on Florida, the Keys are best during the summer (but you might as well travel to Hatteras if you're willing to go all the way to the Keys). You might want to think again about the Galveston area. There are instructors there and some good shallow spots for beginners. It's close enough to Lake Charles that you could watch the wind forecasts and drive over on short notice.

Fly the heck out of your new trainer kite (pick any park or field around Lake Charles). Fly it whenever you can. Once it's second nature (when you can fly it under control without watching it), check out some instructors in Galveston or even closer to home. You don't need the world's best location to learn (but S. Padre and Hatteras are great options if you can get there).

See you on the water. :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Corpus Christi is you only option during the summer months unless you go during a storm. You might wait till the fall mid to late Sep when the fronts start blowing thru. Houstonkiteboarding.com you can get all the info you need for them to set something up. Both Houston and CC are good spots to learn at. Nice shallow bay waters. If you just have to learn you can fly to the Dominican. You will get the wind you want but it is chaos there and you will be in deep water with the instructor talking to you over a headset.

361KITE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi & South Texas
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: 361KITE

Postby 361KITE » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:36 am

yeah, definitely check out Corpus Christi if you can, it's a great place to learn and ride, and our wind is above average all year round, since your relatively close you can scan the forecast (or your school can update you) to get the best conditions, visit us at www.361KITE.com if you are considering coming down

kxthor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Lake Charles
Gear: none yet, soon

Postby kxthor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:33 am

So if I'm going to start around September sounds like corpus is where I need to be? I looked it up and found that the water should still be warm then right? Also besides 361kiting any schools that y'all would recommend? I new to all this, I'm not sure if one school is better than another? Thanks for all the responses guys, 2-3 days I'll have my trainer.

361KITE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi & South Texas
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: 361KITE

Postby 361KITE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 am

september will still be warm so you should be good, definitely check out the other options in the area and let us know if you have any questions

Return to “Kitesurfing”