SigSavage
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello-new member in Canada

Postby SigSavage » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi everybody- just wanted to say hi after spending a lot of time reading and lurking. This is a great resource!

I started kiting in 2014 after getting a gift certificate for a lesson but only get out on the water a few times each season, so I'm still relatively new to the sport. I do love it though and am getting the hang of it slowly but surely- I can get up and go for a while but am still having trouble keeping the kite in the right spot to keep me going for long distances. And getting upwind- I seem to either get overpowered and pulled downwind or not have enough wind (or not able to find and work it) to get upwind. I've been improving on this however, by better recognizing when my kite is too large for the conditions and maintaining more downward pressure on my back leg. I had been stuck on using a bigger kite to get more power to get up and going more easily, but then being overpowered and getting pulled downwind. So I'm selling my 13m kite and buying a 9.5m. Since conditions are highly variable where I am, I also have a 17m for really light days. I actually seem to use this the most.

I have lots of questions and this seems to be the place to come for answers! I think my biggest frustration is not having a reliable place to learn because of wind direction and lack of shallow water to get out away from shore. Plus not having someone to launch and land me- I seem to be on my own 80% of the time. So a lot of my sessions are in light wind practicing self launching/landing in safe conditions. I've had some guidance from experienced kiters on this at least. I also have to spend more time practicing body dragging to get upwind. I know I have to do it, but it's hard when I don't get out on the water often- I want to get on the board! lol

Looking forward to good conversations here-
Cheers!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Hello-new member in Canada

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome!

If you have a week and some extra money to be spent...travel to a location with reliable wind and warm temperatures.

This will make you comfortable for the time when you are back home.

Going Kiting for few days in a row makes you advance over people who just have a weekend here and there with wind or not...you can learn in a week which would be several weeks at home.

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot

Postby saildawg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Where in Canada are you? Lot's of kiters across the country and if you've got kitable water (or snow) there should be a kiting community to watch out for you as you advance. Also lots of warm water this summer!

SigSavage
Rare Poster

Postby SigSavage » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 am

saildawg wrote: Where in Canada are you? Lot's of kiters across the country and if you've got kitable water (or snow) there should be a kiting community to watch out for you as you advance. Also lots of warm water this summer!
I'm in Winnipeg and slowly getting into the local groove. Time is my major constraint.
Toby wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 pm
Welcome!

If you have a week and some extra money to be spent...travel to a location with reliable wind and warm temperatures.

This will make you comfortable for the time when you are back home.

Going Kiting for few days in a row makes you advance over people who just have a weekend here and there with wind or not...you can learn in a week which would be several weeks at home.
Yes, this would be glorious. One day, hopefully..... :D

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

If you really want to progress I recommend two things.

1. Take a Kite trip to a location that you can devote a week of kite training.

2. Learn to snow kite this winter with skis (you will progress much faster when you are back on the water)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 pm

irwe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

2. Learn to snow kite this winter with skis (you will progress much faster when you are back on the water)
Exactly! Best thing would be to do 2. & then 1. A winter's snow kiting (wind direction not much of an issue & can start in lighter winds) will teach you all the basics & give you a feel for kiting under power. If you then make a kiting trip somewhere you will be ready to get up on the water & go. :thumb:

SigSavage
Rare Poster

Postby SigSavage » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 am

irwe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm going to be in Cabo in January with the family. I'm going to try to get up to Los Barriles for a couple days and maybe take another lesson to get some "up on the board" guidance.

My 9.5m is on the way so I will hopefully get more opportunity to practice on the snowboard this winter before I go.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 am

I would recommend skis to start if you are a beginner kiter. So much easier to skate around with your skis on or take your skis off if needed. Once you have your kite skills worked out then put on the snowboard.
Burrow a friends ski's & boots or buy a cheap pair of second hand skis.

Just make sure the bindings work and sharpen the edges.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:45 am

SigSavage wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 am
saildawg wrote: Where in Canada are you? Lot's of kiters across the country and if you've got kitable water (or snow) there should be a kiting community to watch out for you as you advance. Also lots of warm water this summer!
I'm in Winnipeg and slowly getting into the local groove. Time is my major constraint.
Contact boost and join their forum (http://www.boostkiteboarding.com/phpBB3/). There are plenty of adequate kite spots on the lakes there for every wind direction.

Return to “Kitesurfing”