Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Starting out

Postby SaltyFroger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 pm

My cousin and I got a kite for free, im honestly not even sure what size or even what brand it is, Ive been wanting to try kiteboarding for a while and now that i have a kite that may work for me i really want to get into it, i know a guy who runs a class and i plan on taking lessons before starting but i have a few questions, for starters will my wakeboard work? i know it may not be as good but for starting out, if i can save some money i would like to. Whats the difference in training kites? ive seen some advertise with 2 cords and some with 3. Last for know, what size kite should i start with? im 6'4" and 195lbs. Thanks in advance!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Starting out

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Hi mate,

I started with a wakeboard, no probs. Forget training kites, not worth a penny. No idea for Imperial units ;) Dunno, the biggest the better with low wind...

D.

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 am

1.95 meters and 88.45 kg

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:07 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am
Hi mate,

I started with a wakeboard, no probs. Forget training kites, not worth a penny. No idea for Imperial units ;) Dunno, the biggest the better with low wind...

D.
Good to know! most forums ive read recommend working with a training kite before starting but i guess with lessons there isnt much need. Thanks for the help!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 am

No worries.

For your h/w, the bigger IS better. For me, and I'm 60kg, everything changed when got 13m instead on 9. Was up and surfing in 1 day, before was struggling for 6mths with 9m. Smaller kite needs high wind, high wind equals high risks, equals injuries.

Low wind, bigger kite, more time to react/fix issues. Still enjoying 13m, actually yesterday arvo was awesome sesh on only 15-18kn.

You'll find your own thrill.

SaltyFroger
Rare Poster

Postby SaltyFroger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Where on the kite can i find its size? I have a Naish Boxer and all i can tell is its pretty f*****g big. I got the kite for free, i inspected the harness, lines, and the kite its self based on what ive found online and it seems to all be in great condition, at this point i would just like to figure out what size im working with before showing up for lessons.

Return to “Kitesurfing”