Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New member from Florida

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey, Ben. Most brands' promo literature will identify the model or models that are good for beginner-intermediate riders. Generally, when the kite is laid out flat on the ground, you'll want a "bowed" shape on the leading edge as opposed to a more rectangular kite shape (sometimes called a "C" kite shape because of the way it looks in the sky). A kite that's described as a low aspect, easy relaunch, bow kite tends to be good for learning and early progression. If you find a kite that looks good, ask on this forum and someone will usually respond.

You may find that you'll be content with a 12-14 meter kite for a year or so. I'd be cautious about immediately buying a 17 meter when summer hits in Florida. A 17 meter kite is useful if you have really good kite skills and can relaunch in very light wind. But if you're still learning, it can be frustrating to try to relaunch and ride a 17 meter kite in really light wind. You may find that it's better to surf or go to the cable park on light wind days, and hold off on kiting until the wind is adequate for your 12-14 meter. But you'll know what you need/want as you gain more experience.

Have fun with it! :thumb:

benbecker56
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach
Favorite Beaches: Boca Beach, Curry Hammock, Jupiter, Coco Plum, Cocoa Beach
Style: Beginner
Gear: SwitchKite 14m2 - Progression Board 148x47
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby benbecker56 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 am

Hey!

I understand, I will be posting on this forum before I buy anything so I can get feedback from some members. But to be honest, I have done a lot of research and I am almost ready to buy a new SwitchKite Element 6 from http://switchkites.com/element6.html
Did anyone here ever tried one?

I am actually taking my last class on Saturday in the Keys if the weather is fine, and if everything is fine after that I will make my purchase on Sunday. I am really excited!

Thank you for the advice I won't make the mistake to buy a 17m2 Kite right now, I hope I get to practice until the summer with a 14m2 Kite so I can see what I want to do by the summer.

benbecker56
Rare Poster

Postby benbecker56 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:52 am

Hey! So I went to the Keys this week end and I did my first rides downwind, was a lot of fun!

Now I am trying to buy my gear and still not sure if I actually want an eleveight kite or a switch kite.

benbecker56
Rare Poster

Postby benbecker56 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I went with a 14m2 Switch Kite and Bar. I also purchased a DAKINE Pyro Harness.
All I need now is a board, for a beginner. Which board would you guys recommend me?

Thanks and have a good week end.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 pm

A twintip in the 135-140cm range would be your go-to board. Generally the longer/wider the board is, the better it is toward the bottom end of your kite's range, whereas a smaller board will be better at the upper end of the kite's range. For 170 lbs I'd probably try to find "freeride" twintip around 136cm by 40cm and is fairly flat and medium flex. South Florida is super choppy so you'll either want a lot of rocker or some decent flex so your knees don't explode, but unfortunately florida is also not that windy, so high-rocker boards are kind of out of the question because they're really slow. Every brand has a general do-it-all board that goes upwind well and will serve you in your progression for quite a while.

Some people will say to get a huge board so you can learn to go upwind easier. You can do this if you want to spend the extra money on a second board. A big lightwind board will be useful if you want to try to ride here over the summer when the wind is light... a big board makes a big difference. But, they aren't much fun to ride unless you enjoy riding back and forth in straight lines, so it's up to you. A lightwind specific board would be something like the Liquid Force Overdrive, Best Breeze, and so on. Most people don't go this route, they just jump straight onto a "regular" twintip, but it may be worth it depending on your athletic ability and how quickly you feel you're learning in general.

As far as where to buy a board from, you can get away with a lot more with a board than kites, so feel free to buy something used even if it is cheap. Modern boards are generally tuned up a little better in terms of shape and channeling to help you get grip and go upwind, but it's not really a mind blowing difference. Something like this would be a good place to start looking if you have no idea: http://www.windance.com/137cm-Slingshot-Crisis/39954/ decent price and that's the board shape I am suggesting (low rocker, medium-ish flex).

benbecker56
Rare Poster

Postby benbecker56 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 am

Hey!
Hope everyone had a great start of the week.

Thank you for the advices Dylan. When I am about to buy a board, I will post here before to get some feedback :-)
I am most likely gonna get a regular Twintip because I don't want to spend the extra money for a second board. As I learn, if I see that I really need a bigger board for light wind, I will get one.

I just received my gear: I got the Element6 Kite and the Controller 4X. I do have a few questions about it now if someone can help.
I inflated the kite and it seems really big. I think I will use it in 10kts-15kts wind range. For my weight of about 170lbs does that seem fine?

I saw a video about the High-Split option I have for this kite, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ZbCb3N0EVY
It looks like this option is to kind of connect the center lines together. Does anyone knows if I should use the High-Split as a beginner?

Also, I took about 10 hours of classes and now I am thinking to go by myself to try my kite on the beach and get a feel for it. I know how to use a kite from inflating it to do water starts and riding downwind. But this time I am gonna be by myself without any instructor. My main concern is to pick the right day (right weather and wind) to go test it. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

benbecker56
Rare Poster

Postby benbecker56 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 am

Hey guys!

So I did get my gear last week and I also purchased a progressive board 148x47.
I went twice to Delray Beach already with favorable conditions for my 14m2. About 12-16kts and it was great!

First couple hours I was going down wind and after about 3-4 hours I was able to stay to the same level, I am pretty happy with my progression to be honest :)

Now I am wondering if my board is good, because it really hurts my leg, I feel like it's so heavy.

Would you have any advices regarding my progression, and also tip abouts how to change direction?

Thanks!

benbecker56
Rare Poster

Postby benbecker56 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 am

Hello, just wanted to give a quick update to my post :-)

6 months into kiteboarding now. Probably had over 25 sessions and finally starter to do small jumps. I might get a new board soon. What would you recommend for transition?
Note: the wind literally disappeared here in Florida this summer :-(

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 pm

benbecker56 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 am
Hello, just wanted to give a quick update to my post :-)

6 months into kiteboarding now. Probably had over 25 sessions and finally starter to do small jumps. I might get a new board soon. What would you recommend for transition?
Note: the wind literally disappeared here in Florida this summer :-(
Glad you're progressing! For a new board, depends very much on what you don't like about your current board. It may be that you just need to optimise your current setup.

An easy upgrade would be to get better/adjustable footpads & straps, and you can transfer those to another board.
For example, with a wider board you may want to move the footpads closer to the heel side, if your pads allow that.

Or you can try smaller/bigger fins. Once again, these can be used on other boards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”