Rare Poster
Gear: 2014 12m Slinghot Rally, 2017 8m,10m Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LA Based Kiter

Postby engongam » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Hello people,

My name is Berk Engin, I moved back into LA 5 months ago from MN, actually Istanbul, Turkey, anyways long story, I'll tell you more later! Ultimately I am looking for similar minded people to kite with. I travel for work. Engineering stuff however I am chasing wind throughout weekends. I live in Silverlake. I use 12 10 and 8m Slinghsot Rallies. I am a twiptip rider. I just purchased a 2nd hand 5.0 North directional Board however could not have the chance to use it yet. I know the basics of surfing but If you ask me about how many times I actually caught and rode a wave, I have to answer 3! When I drive instead of flying for work, I usually take my gear with me. Like last week, I was working in somewhere called Lathrop which is 1.5 hour east of San Francisco. I was at Wadell Beach, HalfMoon Bay and 3rd Street, checking the spots out. Anyways that's me, hope I can reach out to people who are into chasing wind as well. It is always much more fun with people. I think everything feels better when shared!

Pismo is looking windy this weekend!

See you out there people!

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: LA Based Kiter

Postby foilonfoil » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Check out Southern California Kiteboarding Association http://scka.org and on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCKAPres/ There is also a private facebook group called Belmont Kite Friends.

20 to 100 of your like minded friends will be kiting at Belmont Shore Long Beach when the wind is blowing every day of the week... 1 Claremont Pl, Long Beach will get you there. Other local beaches include Seal Beach for wave surfing, Sunset Beach and Huntington Beach. West of LA there are a number of beaches starting at Malibu and beyond.

Belmont Shore is popular as there are minimal waves due to the harbor break wall allowing beginners to learn in flat water, tricks, and foiling. A thermal wind flow starting after 12PM every day during Spring to Fall.

Before launching at any beach, speak to locals first about local rules. A number of beaches are closed to kiting or are advanced sites only... There is a huge SoCal kiting community so assume that if the wind is blowing and no kiters are present, the beach is closed to kiting... Some beaches have difficult swell/waves and can be dangerous entering/exiting. Most importantly is that SoCal in general has a problem with Stingrays and locals will teach you best strategy for avoiding being hit and what to do if (when) you do get hit... Essentially don't walk around in shallow water.

Pismo? Wind is much more consistent at Belmont and 4 hours closer.

http://belmontcamera.dyndns.org:8076/player.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”