Forum for kitesurfers
mv
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who is riding without the straps?

Postby mv » Fri May 16, 2008 1:55 pm

After almost 3 years of TT riding I have seriously taken up strapless riding on a 6'4" surf board and a skim board. I would say I spend 80-90% of my time strapless now :thumb:

How many other out there are riding full time or a majority of the time strapless?

1Jacko
Rare Poster

Re: Who is riding without the straps?

Postby 1Jacko » Fri May 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Hey mate
In Australia i recon about 50% of people who ride surfies ride strapless. Its the only way unless it 6 foot plus and 25 knots +.
Attachments
23rd 1.jpg

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat May 17, 2008 6:09 am

what are straps?

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Sat May 17, 2008 6:22 am

For quite a while I was the only strapless rider in my area. There were a few people who dabbled in from time to time but I was the only serious strapless rider. Now the numbers are starting to creep up. There are 2 of us that ride a majority of the time strapless and 3 or 4 others that go strapless some of the time. I expect the numbers so go up even more over the next year. I just got a new skimboard that I can not wait to get on the water.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sat May 17, 2008 8:28 am

surfingwithkites wrote:what are straps?
Those soft half round things you put on your board with 2 screws. they keep your feet on your board.
If you ask on the beach, I am sure someone will show you one. Not sure if they have them on the North shore, but if you want, I can bring one next time I come up there and you are welcome to try it out. It's fantastic. Must be a new thing, but I am sold already. Totally out of this world. Wonder why nobody has thought of them before. Try to Google it, I am sure you can find some info on it. Not sure how to spell it correctly though.
:thumb:

Alan
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby Alan » Sat May 17, 2008 3:26 pm

Strapless is the trend here as well.

It is not higher performance, just more fun for some (me included).

Kind of like the trend in both mountain biking and road biking to single speeds. Looking at it from the outside it seems retarded and limiting (and it is). But how can you argue with fun?

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm building a light wind board....143x48. The inserts and fin holes are still under the fiberglass while I put a finish on it. Got a little anxious to try it you. Went out yesterday finless and strapless and had a blast. Could move my feet all over that fatty board. Great fun going strapless even on a twin tip.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat May 17, 2008 5:31 pm

you can't argue against fun. when something offers fun, more freedom and more challenges people can't stop doing it.

Straps are needed when they are needed and it's good to have the option.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 17, 2008 7:37 pm

I am riding strapless, and I am riding strapped.

Some days, especially in clean small conditions (sometimes in lighter wind) - strapless can be THE way to go, and gives you the greatest surf sessions and the "good" feel :thumb:

And other times - strapped gives you so much more both power and fun :thumb:

Strapless you get a more finetuned "feel" - which will make strapped surfing even better.
So one style will benefit from the experience from the other style - which is great :D

I am very often out strapless for one part of the day, and strapped for the other - it works great !

More and more are trying strapless around here - but it is really only very very few (and only the experienced) who does it - and noone is "only" riding strapless (to my knowledge), although a few prefer strapless most of the time, and others like me prefer strapless in some conditions, and strapped in others :D

There are two trends in general:

Waveriding (with all types of board, TT, BiDi, Waveboards) is picking up more and more, as the experienced riders almost always ride waves, and the freestyle becomes a secondary "just for fun" occasionally, but not for longer periods - then it lacks the fantastic feel of waveriding :P

And when into waveboards, strapless is a very very small niche here, but growing - so that is trend no 2.
Although, it will (IMO) not be many who goes this way - only a small fraction.

Then you have the kids and the young guns - almost every single of these, are into radical freestyle only, and cant for the world see the point in waveriding, even after having tried some (as they learn fast, they can do it quite good).

Kindly, Peter Frank

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Sat May 17, 2008 8:57 pm

I ride a skimboard a lot in Miami. At first it was to get more riding in on light wind days, but now I'm getting better at it and skimming in wind is pretty kick ass for freestyle. My friend just started a website http://www.losethestraps.com that is solely dedicated to the progression of strapless riding whether wakeskate, skimboard, or surfboard (or other...). If you are interested in strapless riding, check it out and register to help the cause!

Return to “Kitesurfing”