Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anybody tried a windsurf board strapless for light winds?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Anybody tried a windsurf board strapless for light winds?

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Just talked to a buddy. He said he considered getting an older windsurf freestyle board to try to ride strapless as a light wind board (with kite of course). His theory is that a light windsurf board with flat rocker like a freestyle board will - with its float - be good as a light wind board.

Maybe with some remodelling into a twin fin board.

Anybody tried that??

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Anybody tried a windsurf board strapless for light winds?

Postby sarc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I saw some posts trying just this a few years ago - Google it - the result was totally hopeless, forget edgind or going upwind. Good for a laugh though.

higa
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby higa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:01 pm

hello.
I tried many boards, windsurfboards,wakeboards,short surfboards, longsurfboards. door, large plywood, log... etc.

any surfboards will bring you good feeling perfect with kite with some lesson, maybe 1 hour trying to find the sweet spot of boards.

windsurfboard will do same as surfboards, but you should change the fin to smaller one.
the ordinary windsurfing fins are too large for using with kites.

my recommends are 7 to 9 ft surfbards.
these are perfect for light wind days.
but do not choose too much large fins with surfboard.

I like 6 to 8 inch fin for these surfboard with kite.

anyway, experience are better than discuss, try it ! you will find your feel with any board.

regards.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Yep, have tried it many times - it works, but not very good :-?

Balancing is an act, as most has way too long waterline (straight edges), so you can not countersteer much to keep balance, but have to rely fully on the kite control - which can be very difficult in extremely light wind :roll:

But upwind is good, and low end amazing :thumb:

The same goes for SUP's - can also be ridden in extremely low wind, but they are too slow and too much rocker/soft edges for good upwind, but low end also good.

Both types are NOT very fun to ride IMO, except for the fact it is difficult and just the joy of doing it can be fun :D

Any really good lightwind board will be much better as I see it, and a race board same flotatioin and WAY better both low end and upwind especially.
But a big door or huge fast fish board is also much better, so I would not use much energy on using a windsurfboard.

Only if some cant afford a lightwind board, and HAS a small windsurf board, you could try this - the smaller the better as it can turn and easy to balance.
Just remove the footstraps (you stand much further forward than with a windsurf rig) and use a tad smaller fin as Higa says, and go :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:46 pm

I haven't tried a windsurf board but I have tried a big piece of plywood. It's remarkable that it even works but even more so that it works really really well. Up wind, toeside even... amazing and low cost.
If my kite will fly I can go on water. It's great for when you're desperate to get out. Can't be too aggressive flying the kite cause once it hits the water that's where it gonna stay unless you get a good gust.

If he already has a windsurf board give it a go, but if not, just use a big piece of plywood. I can give you details of what I use if you want. Actually there's a thread here with a pic of it somewhere. See if I can dig it up.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:27 pm

I would not spend money to get a windsurf board unless you want to go windsurfing.

I am currently riding a quad fin 7'3" fish surfboard with my kite and loving it. It's loads of fun and works surprisingly well. I can almost match the North RaceLTD for upwind performance and it's much more fun downwind.

Messing around with a sheet of plywood is also a good idea. Cheap and loads of fun.

Riding anything with a kite is doable and good fun if you approach it with the right frame of mind.

Here's a guy riding a short SUP with a kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”