Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

5th line.... why isn't it connected to the front line split?

Forum for kitesurfers
peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5th line.... why isn't it connected to the front line split?

Postby peet » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:57 pm

I don't know if any kite manufacturers or techies read this, but why do most 5 line systems work such that when you pull in the depower strap/cleat, the 5th line stays the same length (so slackens relative to the front lines).

Surely if you're relying on the 5th line to support the kite, when you de-power it it will work less effectively.
I'm sure there could be a simple solution to this, such as attaching the fifth to the front line split via a stopper ball, with an elastic section down to the leash connection point.

Why doesn't anyone do it, is it intentional that the fifth slackens when you depower ? (i would have thought fifth line tension would aid depowering!)

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: 5th line.... why isn't it connected to the front line sp

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:32 am

What kite are you talking about? Vapor and Hifi systems do not slack while depowering. Slingshot used to have a cleat to adjust fifth line on their five line Ckites before I don't know about now.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:21 am

This isn't a trick question right as that is exactly how 5th line systems work :-?
Naish and North been doing it like you suggest for at least 5 years now

Even the d wipikas had the 5th line attached via a ring at the top of the strap to keep the length relative to the front line

Old flexis also had the cleat like SS

Some of the first 5th line kites were just 4 line kites with a 5th line fitted do it didn't matter about the tension on the 5th, it was just there for safety.

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 am

i know with my hifi, when i pull the depower strap, all 3 middle lines (fronts and 5th) change in length equally. I'm pretty sure it's the same for north and naish too.

that said, when you depower a kite, the angle of attack changes, the leading edge tips forward, slacking the 5th line. so yes. all 5th line kites slack the 5th line when depowering, but no, the 3 middle lines do not change length.

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 am

i know with my hifi, when i pull the depower strap, all 3 middle lines (fronts and 5th) change in length equally. I'm pretty sure it's the same for north and naish too.

that said, when you depower a kite, the angle of attack changes, the leading edge tips forward, slacking the 5th line. so yes. all 5th line kites slack the 5th line when depowering, but no, the 3 middle lines do not change length.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:56 am

The torch has a bungee that keeps the pressure as you depower. It keeps enough pressure on the 5th line.

Der Don
Rare Poster

Postby Der Don » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:09 am

Really nice if your kite doesn't need the 5th to have any tension to keep shape. No worrying about trimming it to exactly the correct length and still benefitting from its safety and relaunch.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 am

tautologies wrote:The torch has a bungee that keeps the pressure as you depower. It keeps enough pressure on the 5th line.
the bungee is just there to take up any slack in the 5 th line when you depower the kite to stop it flapping about, it doesn't provide any relevant tension to the 5th line

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Due to the change in the angle of attack the 5th will slack a bit when you use your trimstrap. for the most part this is a rather negligible difference, although if it does bother you check viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346543&hilit=depowoo. its a mod so there is always tension on your 5th line. Or you can rig up something similar to the RRD wave bar that incorporates a dynamic 5th line viewtopic.php?t=2327947&highlight=

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 am

why isn't it connected to the front line split?

I think it's because most kites with 5th lines don't use them for support. You want to be able to fly in 4 line mode without degrading kite performance. You could connect the 5th line to the front line split if you wanted too but I bet if would affect the kite performance by introducing "extra" depower. ie when you shorten your front lines (via trim strap) you would also be shortening the 5th line by the same amount and this would impact on the kite. It would on mine that's for sure unless I slackened my 5th line more but then it would be too slack when fully powered up and swinging around a lot which would be annoying.

When I installed my 5th line I tuned it fairly slack so it didn't interfere with the kite but not to slack that it's swinging around and getting tangled in the flying lines. There's a happy medium there. I would not want it any shorter but I can tolerate it getting a bit slacker when I use the trim. I should add the amount of extra slack introduced by using the trim is hardly noticeable. In fact I've never noticed it. This is the first I've heard anyone mention it.

That's what I think anyway.

Return to “Kitesurfing”