Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stronger winds far from shore? How far would you go?

Forum for kitesurfers
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Stronger winds far from shore? How far would you go?

Postby abel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:59 pm

The winds in our spots are frequently stronger half a mile (or more) from the beach.
That would make the difference between a reasonable session and a lott'a shame-walking.

I'm wondering if that is the case in most of the spots and how far are we ( :crazy2: locos) willing to risk ourselves for a better wind.
Last edited by abel on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stronger winds far off-shore? How far would you go?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Not sure I understand you ?
Here we only go out in offshore wind in the summer and if a boat is present.
But most often we dont go out in offshore at all, for most it is NEVER !

- Peter

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: Stronger winds far off-shore? How far would you go?

Postby abel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Not sure I understand you ?
Here we only go out in offshore wind in the summer and if a boat is present.
But most often we dont go out in offshore at all, for most it is NEVER !

- Peter
Sorry, I mean far away from the shore (vs. off shore wind direction)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Stronger winds far from shore? How far would you go?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:59 pm

And if you mean side-onshore wind, it is different.
If alone I might maybe only go a mile out, but have sometimes gone 3-4 miles but not that often, and not for more wind but for the trip. If not alone you can go much longer, especially if you got mobile phones with you (also if alone).
Most racers here bring a mobile when going far and alone, even if close to the shore !

It also depends hugely on the spot - strong current ? No other stop than drifting all over the Atlantic if wind changes ? Etc.

- Peter

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Klaus (c:E » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi,

if You have such a spot You´ll have to develop a good feeling for what You do.
The only general rule is "not further than You are prepared to swim"!
As i have refreshed my rescue swimmers licence just a fortnight ago i am once more down to very realistic measures what swimming a distance feels like...
A mile is a very long distance if Your wetsuit is not warm enough or if You are not willing to just say goodby to Your gear...
In most spots where i have taken a closer look there is not much to gain if You go out further offshore. The same amount of whitecaps how far offshore You look. However Your spot might be special like hills, forest or a large city onshore slow down the wind.
I have learned not to milk it too much because if i go out a kilometer to be able to gain hight with low wind equipement i am close enough to ditch the kite in any lull and swim.
So take care of Your safety but i foresee You´ll not try and go far offshore too often till You give it up.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

With side on to onshore winds there are usually lower wind speeds over the water closer to shore. This is related to boundary conditions, drag and turbulence as the air moves over the land. You may often see a wind line in my area about a 400 yards offshore where they wind may bump up a few knots. Sometimes there are wind lines less noticeable from shore out even further say 800 yards or beyond. This may be more pronounced with onshore winds. Anyway, if you want stronger winds it can pay to go out there to find them. Thing is, much of the year we don't have readily hypothermic water conditions in Southeast Florida. Along the mainland, we may have strong currents but they usually won't take you offshore except around inlets at descending tides. I always wear an impact vest so emergency flotation isn't much of an issue either. Like Klaus said, never go out beyond where you are willing and able to swim in from. I usually stay within a mile of shore but may have been out up to three without a chaseboat. Swimming all this stuff in can take a very long time. In shark migration season, I wouldn't want to unduly risk a good swim either. Also, I would still be out there if not for practicing self rescue many dozens of times over the years. I am surprised at how many kiters don't know and are practiced at a few ways of self rescue. If you are prepared for the increased hazards of riding further from shore, can manage hypothermic risks, don't have adverse currents (like may take you off island or something), why not? If you go out in just baggies without preparation, I would pass on the prospect even if the wind is better.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

We quite often have more wind about 1km out to sea. i'm uncomfortable being out there but myself. but when others are about its less risk. in general i use that more wind to get upwind the go close to shore to roost the waves down wind and then tack back out to get back upwind. that way the risky jumps and slly ness happens closer to shore.

ps check out this device http://gsmgpstracking.com/2010/07/spot- ... l-tracker/
could save your arse if your out at see and the worst happens.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 am

I don't chase after the wind off shore at all. I know there is a bit more out there though, steadier and stronger but I won't go after it. I have chased after it with a windsurfer before... slog out - play - slog back. Wouldn't try that with my kite though, not worth it. A kite is just a little to flimsy for that IMO.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 am

Two comments:

1. Rule 1 of all extreme sports is to have an escape route and preserve it at all costs. This generally means never going out further than you are prepared to swim in. It also means ensuring there is a downwind landing option, wearing a suitable wetsuit if the water is cold, boots if there are reefs downwind, PDF and a emergency beacon if you are off out to sea chasing whales (you get the idea).

2. The other answer to questions like these is, if you have to ask then the answer is no. If you know how the winds and the currents and stuff work in your area, and you know how to handle yourself in the water and you have taken due care of point 1 then you can do whatever you want. If you are unsure then don't.

My local bay spot gets very gusty on the inside but the wind is excellent and smooth 500m out. I regularly ride up to 1.5km out to sea doing upwind runs. I can comfortably swim that far (although not in a hurry). Conversely at an open ocean, sharky, surf spot I rarely go more than 100m past the outside the break.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 am

I wouldn't do it. I almost drowned 50m away from shore swimming in...and there can always be a problem with something...and after a session you have less energy to swim in as well...and what if the wind gets less out there? you have no wind getting back...

Return to “Kitesurfing”