Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Kiter in New Jersey! Looking for pointers!

Forum for kitesurfers
jhunter84
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Point Pleasant, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Ubatuba, Florianopolis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Kiter in New Jersey! Looking for pointers!

Postby jhunter84 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 am

Hey guys! Been a fly on the wall here at Kiteforum for a bit researching and soaking up some knowledge but this is my first post.

I am looking to get into the sport this coming Summer and would like to get some pointers from you regarding trainers, lessons, gear, etc. I've been snowboarding for 14 year or so, done a lot of skateboarding and wakeboarding as well so I am very comfortable on a board, the kite on the other hand is very new. I did a brief lesson one day in windsurfing and was able to go out steer a bit and make a turn, but it was challenging.

Anyhow - I've been researching trainers and have seen many of your inputs here but interested in what you think may fit my needs as I would like to be able to learn flying techniques on the ground but also be able to snowkite, practice body dragging and water relaunch, and if at all possible kiteboard on a windy day. That being said I think something like the HQ Rush or Hydra may not be a good fit but maybe a ~6M SLE? Any suggestions for some brands so I could check used gear? This is assuming 6M is not too large for learning flying techniques, I am 6' 2'' 180lbs.

I'd like to hear some reco's on full size gear, I was thinking something like a 13M Bowkite, I know already I will tend to be more freestlye wanting to work up to some jumps and such.

Lastly - If anyone kites around the NJ area (I believe Sandy Hook is a hot spot) please drop me a line, it would be good to have someone I could learn and ride with locally, and maybe do some lessons with.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm already addicted to this sport just following the threads here and watching video clips!

-Joe

duloid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kralova, Dunaj, Slnava
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DLX, Flysurfer Unity 8m, Flysurfer Speed 4 10m DLX, Xenon Rayo 130, Slingshot Celeritas

Re: New Kiter in New Jersey! Looking for pointers!

Postby duloid » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:50 pm

hey Joe, check out the FB - kiteboarding NJ group - for local riders and greenhatkiteboarding or atlantic kiteboarding for lessons ..
if you will go to SH over the weekend I'm sure you will meet some people.. I might be there tomorrow..

jhunter84
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Point Pleasant, NJ
Favorite Beaches: Ubatuba, Florianopolis

Postby jhunter84 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks duloid. Any feedback on the 6M SLE based on what I am interested in doing?? I'll definitely stop out to SH in the coming weekends to talk to some people.

kite_lines_ebay
Rare Poster

Postby kite_lines_ebay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:09 pm

cool, wildwood im sure if very close to you, if you go there you will find a lot of flyers there

kite_lines_ebay
Rare Poster

Postby kite_lines_ebay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:16 pm

oh and since you have experience snowboarding you probably will learn very quickly :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”