Gear: Pro-limit wetsuit
Dakine arness
North 10mts Rebel 08
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Torch 2012 14m - do I need it?

Postby esganmoro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I´d like to know if some of u guys have tried the 14mts Naish Torch. Now I´ve only a Torch 2012 10mts and use it from 16 to 30+ knots. But want to fill the hole from 11 to 16 that we sometimes have in summer. I always try to have the same kites and not mix between brands. The only big kite Ive tried and liked is the North Vegas 14mts since i felt it fast enough (for a 14mts).
Is the 14mts a good choice?
TKS!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Torch 2012 14m - do I need it?

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:00 am

esganmoro wrote:I´d like to know if some of u guys have tried the 14mts Naish Torch. Now I´ve only a Torch 2012 10mts and use it from 16 to 30+ knots. But want to fill the hole from 11 to 16 that we sometimes have in summer. I always try to have the same kites and not mix between brands. The only big kite Ive tried and liked is the North Vegas 14mts since i felt it fast enough (for a 14mts).
Is the 14mts a good choice?
TKS!
You ALWAYS need a new kite. :thumb: I hahaha
Torch 14 in previous editions used to be my favorite. Super powerful. Stable. Overall a great kite. This year the 14 has a lot of the same qualities that the smaller ones have, only with a lot more power. One of the things I like about bigger kites, is that they are very good for learning new tricks. Once the wind is a little lower, and you want to mess around and get some new tricks going, the big kites move a little slower than the smaller kites, leaving you with more time (to mess up) and less neck-breaking acceleration when looping. A friend of mine gets one kite every year. 14 torch. He rides that kite in all kinds of wind and condition. His wind range as a big guy is 12-13 mph to close to 30mph. Crazy if you ask me, but he just smiles....and then goes big.

You'll definitely recognize how the kite rides from your smaller one. It is more extreme than the Park, and the pull feels more grunty. :-)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Naish Torch 2012 14m - do I need it?

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:04 am

i have seen kevin l rocking the 14m in real light winds, riding real well - but really putting the effort in to steer it - to get the apparent wind going - seemed to get get back what he put in in effort - i was failing to even get enough power to throw down the lowest powered of tricks on an 11m fuel - well hardly going at all really...

the 12m torches are quite weak in comparison to other brands - certainly no point in going to a comp without a bigger kite - taken me a while to come to terms with this

i hadn't ridden a kite over 12 for about 4 years - wish had for last year - especially with wierd winds of la nina

it's just that annoying 11- 14.5 knots that these kites kill it in before you will want to change down - but so worth it if that is what you are dealing with and can afford it

Return to “Kitesurfing”