Anyone riding 2008 Naish Thorn

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone riding 2008 Naish Thorn

Postby JGTR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:16 pm

I've been riding the 133 Thorn 08 for a few months, just wondered what other people thought of it?

I was riding the 134 Thorn 07 which I loved, I'm finding the 08 to be quite a bit different

Jay

Richtw
Medium Poster

Re: Anyone riding 2008 Naish Thorn

Postby Richtw » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:59 pm

I have the 129 08 Thorn and absolutely love it, I have tested a range of sizes due to one thing or another and found the 129 perfect for me. I previously had the 134 07 Thorn - good board but very stiff!

I find the 08 an absolute honking board to ride, fast, stiff yet with some flex so your knees do not suffer. Have you tried the smaller sizes - you do not sound like you get the same buzz I do?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:49 am

No, I don't like it as much as the 2007. I've gone for the equivalent size that I had last year, and also I'm 14 stone and find the larger size help with landing jumps etc.

The board just seems really heavy and seems to get bogged down in the chop, its great on flat water but its rare to get toally flat water where I sail.

Maybe I should have gone for the smaler size :-?

Richtw
Medium Poster

Postby Richtw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Funny you say that as I tried the 08 131 orginally as it was the same width as my 07 134 - it felt huge, wide, heavy and I did not get on with it by comparison to the 07 (I weigh 69Kg) . The next size down though is fantastic and does everything I want, it is OK though not brilliant in South Coast chop but no worse than any other board including the 07 Thorn. They seem to ride like a much bigger board than the size would have you believe. Overall a superb board in my opinion.

It might be worth looking at the next size down - it caught me out.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi,
I`m 73 kilos and have 133 08 wich haven`t ridden yet because its cold here but I rode the 131 /test board/ for month or so and I did the opposite - bought the bigger size.
Riding unhooked 15-18 knots avg., mostly chop sometimes very heavy when blowing more, according to me the Thorn 08 behaves more than perfect for a freestyle board. It has more control than the most boards from different brands I`ve ridden before.
I`ve got 133 because I wanted more pop and softer landings and soon I`ll know if my choice was right.
The 08 weight is more than 07 /much more than 666 132x41/ but that I think is very subjective matter when riding any board; 300-400 grams more is not an issue.
I`ve had quite strange experience with this board first didn`t like it at all but after few sessions I love it ..

Regards,
L.

Greenman
Rare Poster

Postby Greenman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:55 pm

I have the 133 is nice in flat but is not the best in chop. was looking dor the 131, but as i got it for half price second hand 2 months old i went for it. i ride me misfit 136 in chop and waves.

Sakellaropoulos
Rare Poster
Local Beach: BigBay, Cape Town - S.A.
Favorite Beaches: BigBay, Cape Town - SA
WindChasers, Langebaan - SA
Local Lagoon, Hermanus - SA
Breede Mouth, Witsands - SA
Style: FreeStyle / WakeStyle
Gear: 09 SS Fuel 5m
08 SS Fuel 7m
08 SS Fuel 9m
08 Mystic Firestarter
08 SS Len10 Lunacy 129
08 Airtool Torsion 125

Postby Sakellaropoulos » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Hey,

Had the chance of testing the 08 Thorn this past weekend...
Was awesome. I'm 72kg, used to riding a 123 Jaime Pro, unfortunately the only size demo they had was a 131, and i felt it was slightly too big for me. I'm getting the 129 this weekend to try, but from what i felt riding the 131, it's super smooth when it comes to landings, has awesome pop, great upwind capability etc...

I had a 06 Thorn, and it's like chalk and cheese. Can't compare it to the 07, as I've never ridden one.

Chinstrap
Rare Poster

Postby Chinstrap » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm

I was riding it down in Jamaica at xmas time. Compared to my 2005 Underground FLX32, it was heavy and too flat for when chop came up - ie lots of spray. It was my buddies board and he agreed that he didn't like it compared to last year's board and after he busted the footstrap on it he was using mine anyway. I think it's heavy b/c of the wood core. Wouldn't want to drop it on my foot..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:00 pm

I am riding the 133 08 Thorn, and it was exactly what the doctor ordered. I think the wider board gives me the better low end, I find the board better in chop than last years. It does ride different from last years, but softer which is good for me. It took some time to get used to especially since I also went up in length from 131. The 133 gives me lots pop, but also super good control. I really like the footstraps, with more toe grip than last year, but still super comfy

The 07 might have had a slightly better pop, or I though so in the beginning, but once I got used to it, I have plenty. I think the biggest difference was doing powered bottom turns, the wider board did throw me off a little..for a while.

The board feels heavy on the ground, but I don't feel it at all while riding. I don;t think the UG feels very much lighter though, which makes sense since they are both wood board (the new ones). Also the me and chinstrap must ride radically different because I don't at all get the spray s/he is talking about. I did get it from the UG flx boards, and was one of the main reasons for me to seek something else. THat said his UG board is one of the boards that are really good. The 05 UG had a single concave and the board seemed to work great. Now they come out with a double concave and thus ride a little differently. Still good though. Whereas the thorn has a nudge in the corner of the board that deflects water that otherwise would spray you, I think the flx felt like it had a spray that kept on hitting me on the nose...even if I tried to move my body. Funny how different we all are, but the spray factor on the flx is one of the things that ended up being very annoying for me...

:-)
a.

Return to “Kitesurfing”