Board leash - good / bad??

Forum for kitesurfers
Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Board leash - good / bad??

Postby Dr_Rosen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Just read about the damn fatality in Puerto Rico :cry:
In that thread people discuss that board leashes are dangerous? I use a board leash in order to not loose my board - especially since it is very cold here and thus the water is very cold. Do not want to body drag around in cold water.
So thought that a boar dleash was a safety feature - but seemingly it is not....or is it????

(would heel straps be better then?)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board leash - good / bad??

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Dr_Rosen wrote:Just read about the damn fatality in Puerto Rico :cry:
In that thread people discuss that board leashes are dangerous? I use a board leash in order to not loose my board - especially since it is very cold here and thus the water is very cold. Do not want to body drag around in cold water.
So thought that a boar dleash was a safety feature - but seemingly it is not....or is it????

(would heel straps be better then?)
Get rid of the leash as fast as possible !

If you have a good reel leash, and a good full cover helmet - you might be okay, here in the winter where you maybe want a leash as a beginner/relatively new rider.

Otherwise - ditch the leash ASAP.

Havent seen anyone using a leash here the last years (only read about some on different kite forums)... Well, not true, one did last year here - until he got hit by his board in the neck, just below his helmet, and then stopped using it (as everyone else) :wink:

Learn to bodydrag efficient and fast (and trust me - having a leash will for sure prevent this from being a good skill) - and dont go far out or in offshore or too sideshore wind here in the winter - then you dont even need to be able to bodydrag at all if you dont like to be in the water :D

Heel straps are quite dangerous too...

I honestly did not think that anyone discussed board leashes anymore, as they were ditched all over the world from around 2002, as there were so many serious accidents in 2001 and 2 with board leashes (broken teeth, large cuts in the head, eyebrows smacked etc) :(
I have witnessed so many of my friends getting some tough injuries in the early years, and experienced close calls myself back in 2000 where the leash was used - makes you think :wink:

Remember when you made a really high jump - and the board was "lost" up there - then you could watch your board hanging below you in a "string", and you could just pray you did not land straight down on the sharp fins :o

Somehow a board leash has the ability to self-aim the board straight towards you, no matter what you do... As it only has one target, when connected to you 8)

As a Doctor you should know how risky it is !
Especially in the winter - where you might get knocked unconscious by your board, even just for a short amount of time - and this can be fatal in cold water :x

A few are using leashes in some very special situations yes, and mostly only long reel leashes - but they know why and what to be careful about.

Kindly, Peter Frank

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks Peter.
Well it is a reel leash and I always wear a helmet ........ otherwise yur teammate 2ke will be on my back :D
....but okay I will ditch it.

BTW, the Doctor title is stolen .... from the Fletch movies....remember ? Dr. Rosenrosen, Dr. Rosen pe... ?? A classic movie which gave me that nickname a long time ago due to my last name Rosenkvist

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Bording is not a doctor either ........ but maybe you knew that :lol:

lalawyer
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lalawyer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:19 am

Ditch ther leash. If you need it, get a pair of Dakine Raptor Heelstraps which will help you keep your feet in and minimze board loss.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Postby simonm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:52 am

Receptionist: May I help you Dr...?
Fletch: Oh, it's me, Dr. Rosenpenis. I'm just here to check out Alan Stanwyk's file.
Receptionist: Dr. who?
Fletch: Dr. Rosenrosen, I'm here to get to the records room.
Receptionist: What was that name again?
Fletch: It's Dr. Rosen, I want to check the records room.
Receptionist: Dr. who?
Fletch: Dr. Rosen. Where's the records room?

Always wondered if the name was Fletch inspired.

ascendkiteboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby ascendkiteboarding » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 am

get rid of the leash before we're reading about your death.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 am

everyone should not use a leash! it is so easy to get your board back!
You just need to LEARN it.

In cold areas it might be different, but for sure always wear a helmet if you have to use a leash.
And since you should never go out alone, you normally always have a helping hand around.

But try to not use it at all, it can only get you in a dangerous situation. So fr I never lost a board, either I got it back, or someone brought it to me.

In cold water you shouldn't be riding so far out anyway. And if you stay close to shore, just drag to the beach, walk upwind, and then drag back to the board.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 am

Reminds me of the discussion about using a seat belt or not.
I use a seat belt because in more cases it will help me, than hurt me.
I use a leash because in most cases because it will help me rather than injure me.
Then again I ride solely waves on coral reef and body dragging over a reef at low tide is way more dangerous than the risk of being connected by my board on my reel leash.
This is my opinion though and each one of us should know what is good for him once he has reached a certain level.
Nico
PS. Surf leashes are not compatible with kiteboarding, they are too elastic.

srrc
Medium Poster

Postby srrc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:32 am

Using a leash is like making love using a condom.
Get rid of it and have a long term loving relationship with your board!

Return to “Kitesurfing”