Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

La Ventena - Kite Expo - you blew it if you missed this one!

Forum for kitesurfers
CameraGuy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

La Ventena - Kite Expo - you blew it if you missed this one!

Postby CameraGuy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:41 am

I know this recap might be hanging in different threads but here are some cameraguy viewpoints

--- Damn

for all you ikitesurf weather pussy's who bailed because the forecast was weak - ya blew it

if you have not figured it out by now these kite events are pretty happening times. cool shit goes down. Yes we can donate some big bucks and resources to pay for elementary school needs in the small town, it is good see DINK money finally going to a good cause.

But watching 110 kiters getting packed in boats and taken to remote island like it was D- Day made this event for me. Or even better watching what happens when 110 kiters on a remote island find 5 kilos of washed up wacky weed and burn it to keep "warm" for 2 hours - classic times i'm sure this explains the crappy start all my friends had.

the Expo side of the had it some fun things go down ( no "secret agent" fat dudes blowing through the crowd) but It was a little packed in maybe there were more kites then people ( blame the weather guy). Each company had there gear in full effect. The Caution guys had their area " Caution territory". The only thing missing was the monster trucks, stripper poles and Kid rock ballads. Other mentions that stood out was the flysurfer dudes busting out the German freestyle moves for 8 hours straight each day. What would a Expo be without Dimitri of the Eclipse planet? this guy was a machine! watching him was like playing a old school Ozzy record backwards -totally engaging. Every trick in the history of kiteboarding was getting thrown down all about 4 feet of the beach. Untouchable even the new schools kids were forced to take notes.

Seems like the arms race is just starting with more and more manufactures coming out with very similar designs who will be the first to make the next break though in design ???

top kites tested - SS REV was cool but maybe for one size only work on the bar for 2009, Helix nope too many bends, Cab stuff not my style way too "REI" for me, Flysurfer stuff looked cool and seems like it works but flysurfer guy would never come in and get off his own stuff ! Best was stepping it up bring more gear next time!, Eclipse what can be said? solid gear and great people running it , Freakdog made a good display but they had there gear too far inland to try.

sounds like is missed the good shit Sunday - fill me in

Thanks Marina for making this happen !!!!

for all the expert level people that don't show to these things, bring it to Pismo in April these events are a blast.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Re: La Ventena - Kite Expo - you blew it if you missed this one!

Postby Bain » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm

The Rev is only good in one size?
Please explain

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 pm

More importantly, who kept the mota? :jump: :cool2:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:38 pm

if you have, please post reviews in the review section!!!

tell us how you liked the gear...many people wanna now!!!

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 am

"Flysurfer stuff looked cool and seems like it works but flysurfer guy would never come in and get off his own stuff !"

I flew Fleasurfers down there for three years and never encountered anyone else doing the same. Everbody looked at me like I had leprosy. Real good to see the actual deutschland contingent making the BIG effort travel all the way to Ventana to represent. Wish I coulda made it but I can't tear myself away from the constant rain and darkness.

mossman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting , www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com
Quality Gear , Great Prices

Postby mossman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 am

Attachments
marina.JPG
Marina from The Kiteboarder Magazine
mm.JPG
mm.JPG (147.06 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
sc.JPG
sc.JPG (176.46 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:40 pm

All I want to say it that the Event in "LAVANTANA" was a big success not only for the different companies out there but also for the organization such as Baja Joe / Marina from "The Kiteboarder" and Tim. These guys did organize the event very professionally. The good thing was that the wind was on every day, so we were able to compete and put our gears for Demos.
They also raised $12000 for the Kids School in LaVantana. Very nice, it's always nice to know that we did this for a good cause.
We had a great success with our kites. Many people came out of the water with a big smile on their faces after trying the kites, saying that they heard good things about ECLIPSE but never thought it was that good.
The Race was crazy. I also could not believe the 5 kilos of Mariguana these people found on the beach while waiting for the competition to start. They did a big fire and put all that into the fire. That was a good thing to do, especially in Mexico.
Any way it will be nice to get other people put some info about the kites they tried and which one they liked and which one they did not like. It is always good to see their reaction.

Neill
Frequent Poster

Postby Neill » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 am

sounds like a great event to take the kids to - where else can you sit around a bonfire and get stoned with 5kg of free weed :?:

mossman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting , www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com
Quality Gear , Great Prices

Postby mossman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 am

5 kilo's................................? I thought there was 7.......... :peace:

Anyway it was fun painting the school for the kids......and it started to get windy after we had finished....

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:32 am

I wonder what happened to the other 2 k :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”