Annabelle II
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Panama for Spring Break...Advice?

Postby Annabelle II » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 am

Hey everybody, this is my first post. :bye:

I am planning a kiteboarding vacation for the end of March. In searching for a place that is inexpensive to fly into from Chicago, I found Panama to be surprisingly affordable.

I am a flat water lawn mower, while my hubby likes both waves and flat water. Are there any beaches that are good for someone like me at that time of year?
Any recommendations on cheap places to stay that are one step up from camping?
Are there surfboard rentals?

Any help/advice is appreciated!!! The snowriding is fun, but come March it will be nice to be back on unfrozen water.

Out!

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Re: Panama for Spring Break...Advice?

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Panama can be tricky - both weather and locations. Tho' Panama is a very good place for a Central Am. Greenhorn, there's a likelihood of your frustration level spiking because of the difficulty of being there at the exact right time. (my wife carries both passports) Punta Chame would probably be the first stop: http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/surf/panam ... e-la-punta

If this is a first trip South, I'd go to Cabarete in the Dominican. You can surf an excellent break nearby in he morning .. kite hard from about Noon - Dark .. and then play as hard as you want after dark. ...and do these pretty reliably day-after-day .. almost never hearing; "You shudda bin here yesterday Dude!".

Another alternative would be Tulum MEX. I have not been, but my wife did a week's yoga there last Winter and said; not only was the beach empty for the most part but there was kiting in the area. However, I'd bet there's a not face wave to ride there... http://locogringo.com/tulum/

I'm also sure there' plenty kiting in Puerto Rico. I've only surfed there .. many years ago.

Jim

sonny
Rare Poster

Postby sonny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

South padre might be another good option, fly into Harlingen or Brownsville.

Annabelle II
Rare Poster

Postby Annabelle II » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 am

Thanks for the recommendations.

I will look into Dominican and South Padre. We've kited in Puerto Rico before. It was good kiting, but we want to try someplace new.

I will use the search feature on the forum to check out those places. :oops: The thing I am concerned about for South Padre is the Spring Break crowd.

Return to “Kitesurfing”