johnnyadams
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heavy guy looking for suggestion

Postby johnnyadams » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:00 am

Hi Folks,

Joined the forum recently. Lot of good posts, I am about 115 Kgs would I be able to get into to this sport. Some said yes, some said that I would sink like a rock. Want some genuine answers here. If I can get into the sport, what kind of gear should I be looking for.

I would really appreciate if someone could suggest me a good package info.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Sam

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Re: Heavy guy looking for suggestion

Postby fearlu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:19 am

Are they kidding? I weigh the same and I can assure you that you are NOT too big to kitesurf aggressively (and at a fairly high level.) Ignore those people and ride!

You will need one large twintip that handles rough water well, a directional surf board and two kites. If it's windy where you live you could consider 9 and 12 (that's what I fly, at the same weight, in a windy city). If it's fairly light wind in your area maybe 10 and 14? Be aware that big people can ride big boards with similar kite-sizes to our smaller friends. Plus, that's safer when you're new at it.

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 am

Rhinos are great "big guy" kites. Awesome power for the size. 10/14 and you are good!

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:47 am

'sink like a rock' . . .pfffft!!! Those guys who say that are, what we call in OZ, 'num-nuts', or could also be known as dickheads, etc etc!

I'm 120 kg, 6'5" and can hold my own. Like fearlu says, 10 and 14 is a good combo, I've got 16 and 12 and use my wifes 10 on a few occasions. I have 2 boards I usually use, 144 x 46 and 135 x 41, and use my wifes 132 x 39 occasionally. With the big combo I can get out in the light stuff too, almost as good as the light guys. And when the winds up, I've been know to pull off the odd 10 m jump or 2... so I say again, pffft... to those who say different, fuk that!.

Fearlu is spot on, good advise.

cheers for now, good luck johnnyadams.

Robert.

johnnyadams
Rare Poster

Postby johnnyadams » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:53 am

Hi Fearlu/Baller,

Appreciate quick response from both of you. I live in San Jose,CA. I would be looking for some good tutors in kite surfing and take up the sessions.

Once again my thanks to both of you.

Best Regards,
Sam

johnnyadams
Rare Poster

Postby johnnyadams » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:59 am

Robert,

Thanks to you as well. I can confidently say I am in right forum...

Best Regards,
Sam

skyrocketnflight
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Dennis, MA
Pine Point, ME
Chapin, Cape Cod MA
Favorite Beaches: Mayflower Beach, Cape Cod MA
Style: Freeride and wave.
Gear: Freak Dog Vicious 15, 12, 10
North 141 x 40 X-Ride
Liquid Force 145 x 46

Postby skyrocketnflight » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:13 am

Go big or go home as they say!LOL
I'm 225 lbs and kite very well and aggresively.

I have Freak Dog "EH" kites, Vicious 15, 12, and 10.
That covers wind from 15-35 mph.

Boards:
145x46 Liquid Force WLF (light wind board) Used mostly with my 15M
141x40 North Freeride, typically used with my 12m and definitley my 10M

15 and 12 would be great. Freak Dog Vicious are stable, grunty, powerful kites.
Great price to performance ratio. Made in Cabarete, DR, the kiting Mecca.

I also like North Rebels and have heard great things about the Eclipse Thruster.
BEST is a great bang for the buck too, esp for your first couple kites.

The setup works exc for me. Most guys in the 220 lb range ride a 140x40 ish as a
good all around board. My next purchase is a 6'0 surfboard, Best Thruster or Santa Cruz Trespass.

The extra weight is handy when the wind really kicks up, you can tend to push the upper limit of your kite verus having to run in the minute the wind picks up to switch kites.

Keep us posted when u get a kit. Rock on!

Kite-Essence
Medium Poster

Postby Kite-Essence » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey I am in the same ball park and I kite without problem...I ride Switchblades from Cabrinha 16m-10m-8m and I ride them all...!6m =10-20 knots, 10m=17-30 knots and 8m 30knots and more...I have 2 boards a Slingshot Glide which I recommand you greatly for light air,I've tried numerous light wind boards and this is the one and I just bought a RRD Poison 133x43 which is the most impressive board I've rode...If there is wave where you live you will want to buy a surfboard when you are comfortable riding a twintip....

Hope this help...

D.

haynman
Medium Poster
Style: surf

Postby haynman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Talked to a guy when I was in San Diego he was on a 15m Freak Dog Vicious & killing it. Must of weighed like 260lbs.

Props to all of da big bruddahs out there riding and having fun. My father in law is like 280lbs. and is starting to ask ??? about kiteboarding. We shall see.

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Sam, just to follow-up with you, I should note that the "windy city" I mentioned is...
the San Francisco Bay Area! Since you live in San Jose you will probably ride at 3rd Avenue in Foster City as your "home beach". In the summer you will trek to Rio Vista, Crissy Field, etc. As you progress you will ride the coast, north of Santa Cruz. So, now that I know where you live, I will repeat that 9 and 12 in the Bay Area is a great combo for bigger riders when used with a big twin plus a surfboard. These two sizes only leave me on the beach (watching) when I should have gone mountain-biking anyway. We don't have much "marginal" wind around here-- it's usually "on or off". We have no wind shortage (except in the off-season of winter), and in fact, you should "round-down" for safety/beginner considerations. Modern kites work so well in moderate-to-high wind that I no longer own a 14, nor a 16, which I used to ride extensively. Check out WOW Kiteboarding for lessons near you. Don't even think about riding without professional instruction. It's the ONLY sport I ever learned with an instructor and we will all recommend/require you do the same! Enjoy. Bay Area kiting is world-class and Maui and Baja can serve up some warm water options one quick flight away from SJO.

Return to “Kitesurfing”