Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nobile 555 '09 (134) or UG '08 FLX 135 - anyone tried?

Forum for kitesurfers
Chriskef
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nobile 555 '09 (134) or UG '08 FLX 135 - anyone tried?

Postby Chriskef » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:51 am

Hi

I have the chance of a good deal on an '08 Underground FLX or pay a bit more for a '09 555. For a 90kg rider wanting good pop but sympathetic enough on a pair of aging knees (currently have a 666 '06), can anyone speak up for one or the other? Is it fair to compare the two as a like for like? My only reservation with the 555 is some loss of performance compared to the 666. That said, the 666 is probably a board too far for me now. I know the Shinn is a compromise but you could buy a small house in Bulgaria for the same money.

Thanks

Chris

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Re: Nobile 555 '09 (134) or UG '08 FLX 135 - anyone tried?

Postby airsurfer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I have tried the FLX and own a 555 used to own a Shinn (someone in bulgria might have it now since I lost it) It depends what you like I think that the FLX is more carvy and snappier with more of a surf feel the 555 seems faster with more low end cuts upwind better rides like it has suspension the thin rails and flex allows you to hold a lot of power when you need it. I like the graphics and weight of the FLX better.

Jimmy_James
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dania & Delray (Florida)
Favorite Beaches: The Florida Keys
Style: Freeride
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jimmy_James » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

I can comment on the 08 UG flx 135: Excellent board. The quad concave is good for cutting through chop and provding softer landings. It took me a few sessions to get used to it as it felt a little skatey at first (probably due to the quad concave), but I got dialed in soon thereafter. Overall, the board has a wood core and is very durable with flexi tips. Nobile puts out great boards from what I hear, but I absolutely feel solid on the UG 135. I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially if you get a good deal!

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Chriskef wrote:Hi

I have the chance of a good deal on an '08 Underground FLX or pay a bit more for a '09 555. For a 90kg rider wanting good pop but sympathetic enough on a pair of aging knees (currently have a 666 '06), can anyone speak up for one or the other? Is it fair to compare the two as a like for like? My only reservation with the 555 is some loss of performance compared to the 666. That said, the 666 is probably a board too far for me now. I know the Shinn is a compromise but you could buy a small house in Bulgaria for the same money.

Thanks

Chris
Chris,
I cannot speak for the Underground, but I can respond on the Nobile 555 or T5 as I have used both. Being in a similar situation as you with the aging knees I found that the 555 to be a fantastic ride which offeres exceptional dampening without the major loss of performance. The Nobile 555 edges expectionaly well which is great for jumping, goes upwind very similar to the 666, plenty of pop for those unhooked moves, and has a very fast rocker which makes it an ideal all round board for all wind conditions. The new 09 shaping is a treat as the asymetrical toeside edge makes toe side riding even smoother. If you spend a lot of time working the toeside edge, the the T5 is the way to go.

Return to “Kitesurfing”