thestreets1020
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hefner
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

slingshot turbo 3 vs. gk vsonic for beginner

Postby thestreets1020 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 pm

ok so I've narrowed it down between these two kites for my first set up. The only water I have access to is lake hefner in oklahoma. I weigh about 160 lbs. and was thinking about going with a 9m on the turbo 3 and an 8m on the vsonic. conditions are usually pretty gusty where i would be riding. I appreciate any helpful advice, thanks in advance

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: slingshot turbo 3 vs. gk vsonic for beginner

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

Unless you find someone unbiased who has ridden both kites (unlikely) you're likely only going to get a biased response from a fan of one brand or the other. So, consider this a disclaimer that I fly mostly Slingshot kites...

I can't imagine a better beginner kite for you than the T3. The thing will eat up the gusts and relaunch on a dime. That is going to be key since it sounds like you'll be in a lake and thus likely in deeper water. In that case, you want a kite that shoots back up in the air very easily. When you are learning it is a challenge to relaunch in deep water. The T3 does not like to be in the water...the damn thing will relaunch itself with very little bar input if there is any wind. The T3 also flies better in light air better than any other LEI kite I've flown (a tribute to the true bow designs). If the kite ever starts to drop in a lull, just sheet the bar out (push it away from you) and the kite will float back up in the air.

Finally, the CSS system makes it safe for you to pull your chicken loop or spreader bar release and depower 100%. The kite will float down softly on the water waiting for you to retrieve the bar and allow the lines to slowly feed back through it. Waiting for relaunch. The T2s did not have this feature which is why I'd recommend a T3 instead.

Some of these behaviors may be true of other kites as well, but I just found the T2/T3s to be very beginner friendly and they can be found on sale for a great price now. I've moved on to SLEs for performance and bar pressure reasons, but I'd recommend that T3 platform to anyone starting out. Buy it from a shop or direct from the SS website to make sure you get the full warranty and customer service. :thumb:

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards

Postby blancoh2o » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 am

I don't think you can go wrong with either kite. Both re-launch well, both are great in gusts are stable.

Slingshot is a US company, GK is distributed by a Litewave here in states.

Slingshot's customer service and rider hotline is second to none.

Just make sure to take some lessons before taking your new kite out to learn.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 am

I agree with the Captain. I also bought a quiver a Turbo 2's after I learned how to kite. Very stable, easy re-launch, eats gusts/great de-power. They will give you the confidence to learn all the basics(transitions, jumping, rolls, ect). I rode mine in almost all conditions(13-30kn. surf/flat). For me, they were awesome learning kites. I have also moved on to S.L.E./C's and am glad I spent a year on those T-2's

P.S. I important thing I would highly advise. Which ever kite you buy, practice using the safety system a bunch on your first few days. When something goes wrong, and it will, that safety release should be second nature. Have fun.

thestreets1020
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hefner

Postby thestreets1020 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:07 am

Thanks for all the great info, looks like ill be getting a T3. I think the safety system seems to be better on the T3. The conditions here change frequently and itll be nice to know when i need depower it will for sure work.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Nice you made right choice. If you ever have any questions or problems make sure you contact riderhotline@slingshotsports or you can contact me anytime.

Cheers,

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 pm

As the others have already said, you'll be fine with either brand.

I HAVE flown both kites. Yes I am a fan of the Sonics. The one thing I'll add is that the Vsonic doesn't have a bridle system to get tangled up if you're a noob and crashing the kite all the time. The Vsonic I feel has a better wind range with especially good high end manners. The 8m Vsonic is a high wind machine. Depower on both kites is similar. I also feel the Sonic is a little faster and turns better. Both kites are built to last and can take a beating in the surf.

Hope this helps.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 am

Just to clarify things, these is not a T2 and does not have the longer bridles that the T2 had on it. Yes there are times that the T2 could trip on its self but with the redesigned compact bridle the T3 comes with you will have hardly any issues with this. The safety system on the T3 "CSS" is suppose to work tangle free when flaged out. Even when it does tangle the kites bridle is so compact that it really can work magic and clean up well.

CSS video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMQg3ZX0Ss
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 745 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”