Local Beach: seattle
Gear: Flysurfers, psycho 4, pulse 2, silverarrow
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Santa barbara info please?!

Postby bigsteve » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 pm

hey guys,

Im new to this forum, I usually hang out on powerkiteforum.com, but i am branching out in hopes of finding someone with some experience riding in santa barbara. I am heading there for a week starting this coming saturday.

I am looking for a beach to try and get out on while I am there. I have heard east beach is pretty safe for people to go. it's been a while since i've been in the water but I'm ready to make hte transition back from mountain boarding.

Do you guys have any recommendations or know of any concerns with riding east beach or ledbetter parks? I'll be staying right in town so I can walk to either of these places.

Thanks,

Steve

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Santa barbara info please?!

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:48 pm

find some info on www.kitebeaches.com

kartcrg
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Takoon, North

Postby kartcrg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 pm

I was also wondering about the spots in sb....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2355075

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:57 am

SB is a pretty low wind place but if your're going to score some wind now through April or so is a good time to get it. East beach is a good spot where people seem to kite. Nice wide beach right in front of town. Mostly lighter wind. Bring light wind gear but it can nuke on rare occasions.

Jalama beach can be good too but it's a more dangerous/wild option about an hour or so north. It can get really windy and gusty.

C street is also within striking distance about 30 mins south on the 101.

As always respect the locals and ask before you launch. This area is under some threat of getting shut down thanks to people kooking out.

bigsteve
Rare Poster
Local Beach: seattle
Gear: Flysurfers, psycho 4, pulse 2, silverarrow

Postby bigsteve » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:21 am

thanks, a local showed me some rules established between kiters and the city to keep beach rights in tact. I will try to follow those... of them it required a helmet and a life jacket/impact vest.. may have to pick up a vest before i leave to follow that one.

Ya I'll be bringing some lightwind stuff down. i've got a 19, 15, and 10m foils. Im not sure but I might just leave the 10 at home based on what people are saying. 19 should get me playing in 10-12 knots im hopin!

Other than that it sounds like east beach is a pretty easy safe beach to get my feet wet this time of year.

Do you have to worry about sharks or anything crazy like that in that area (sorry.. had to ask.. we dont have to ever worry about that here)

Return to “Kitesurfing”