Forum for kitesurfers
templeofthejam
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Please Help Me Get Started!

Postby templeofthejam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 am

have wanted to get into kiting/kiteboarding for quite sometime. I bought an Ozone training kite (bar) from a local kiteboarding shop about 2 years ago. When I bought the kite, I asked the sales person that given I had no experience, whats the best way to learn so I don't kill anyone or myself. He offered me a $300 3 hour lesson. I couldn't afford the lesson, so have taken the kite out a few times. I haven't taken it out it strong winds, though find it so hard to control. The last time I took the kite out was a year and a half ago, when I nearly took my wifes head off and actually hit her with the kite and gave myself some serious rope and grass burn. Since then I have been too scared to take the kite out again.

I have looked for DVD's, videos on Youtube, books or anything to show me how to fly the kite safely. I see kiting as a sport I'd really enjoy once I knew how to.

Can someone tell me how I can learn without breaking the bank?

None of my friends fly kites so they can't show me either.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mark

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: PLEASE HELP ME GET STARTED

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 am

templeofthejam wrote:have wanted to get into kiting/kiteboarding for quite sometime. I bought an Ozone training kite (bar) from a local kiteboarding shop about 2 years ago. When I bought the kite, I asked the sales person that given I had no experience, whats the best way to learn so I don't kill anyone or myself. He offered me a $300 3 hour lesson. I couldn't afford the lesson, so have taken the kite out a few times. I haven't taken it out it strong winds, though find it so hard to control. The last time I took the kite out was a year and a half ago, when I nearly took my wifes head off and actually hit her with the kite and gave myself some serious rope and grass burn. Since then I have been too scared to take the kite out again.

I have looked for DVD's, videos on Youtube, books or anything to show me how to fly the kite safely. I see kiting as a sport I'd really enjoy once I knew how to.

Can someone tell me how I can learn without breaking the bank?

None of my friends fly kites so they can't show me either.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mark
Hey Mark, welcome to the sport. Sorry to break it to you...lessons is the way to go. If you are well prepared you might get away with fewer, but the safety of having someone around that knows what they are doing might actually end up safing you a ton of money since your liability is less :-)

The first few times is all about safety, and learning how to rig. I'd say there are ways of getting into the sport n the cheap, but not taking lessons isn't it.

By all means, do the videos, go with a trainer kite...2-3 meters, until you can fly blind. Remember to go out in decent winds when you use it. If it is too light, you'll have problems keeping it in the air.

If I were Id do the training kite (2 meter kite...then take a lesson or 2, then start out with a used kite / board (don't get anything older than 2 years tho..and get a flat kite..the board...get an old beater...
you can do pretty well, but make sure the gear is safe and in decent condition.

Anyhoo,
a.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Re: Please Help Me Get Started!

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 am

yup i agree, Professional lessons is the only safe way to enter the sport, if you think
300 bucks was expensive go do the research on gear and accessories this sport is
very expensive. Good luck :thumb:

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Please Help Me Get Started!

Postby Satan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 am

tautologies advice is pretty good, especially his advice about getting really good with the trainer kite before you progress to anything bigger or lessons. A lot of teachers will want to teach you the trainer kite but you do not need lessons for that. You will save yourself a lot of time and money if you get the trainer really wired to the point where you can loop it while talking on your mobile phone and have complete control of the kite without looking at it. 90% of your initial success will be with kite control and it's a lot more efficient to learn this with a trainer kite. Just make sure there is no one around you when you fly the trainer.

Also get on a local forum and start asking some questions there. Local riders can be the best help you can find. There may be a good local instructor that will give you lessons for less money. My guess is you could find someone that would be willing to go down to $50/hour.

I'd say buy the Best Kahoona, but don't believe ANYONE that recommends one brand over another. Two post 2007 used kites is way better then one new kite, but you'll need some trustworthy help with the used market.

Return to “Kitesurfing”