RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Surf ... a new way

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:44 pm

Laird paddles in

Kiteboarders are trying out a new way of gliding over the water and grabbing waves. It is a great way to develop board skills while crossing-training in a solid workout offshore. It is new but also very old, brought about by the surf riders in the Pacific long ago. It has recently exploded in Hawaii, again, and now is moving outward to other parts of the globe.

Standup paddleboarding, standup surfing, "Beach-Boy" Style surfing, Hui O He'e Nalu, it goes by many names but what is it? I recently put that question to John Bendon of Maui, HI. John is the son of Jim Bendon, the man who introduced me to kitesurfing in the summer of 1998 in the BVI.

continued at ...

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK HERE FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES

Last edited by RickI on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickr1977
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nickr1977 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:47 pm

We have Jimmy Lewis stand up paddle boards coming to the shop very soon. I am super excited about trying this as you can go out and surf on even the smallest days.

Just spreading the word. It will be something new to learn and the boards and paddles will be available for purchase in the U.S. very soon.

Nick
REAL Kiteboarding

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:15 am

Is this a new way for selling longboards ? or paddles ?
Nico

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:37 am

We have been able to buy boards for a long time, paddles far longer than that. The primary idea behind the post was to show a new (old), way of having fun.

Case in point, I bought a wavesski (2 come to think of it and both too small, whoops), some years back to be able to milk more out of small surf. What else in SE Florida? I am still working on my eskimo roll if that tells you how far I made it. Big boards and long paddles make things quite a bit easier. Also, I suspect they will get going even sooner than waveskies in small waves.

I have heard of quite a few guys that are now doing this. So how about some input. What do you think so far?

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:57 am

Saw some of Jimmy's new paddle boards when I was at his shop. Gotta say they look pretty good. Also we just got in some new Elua Makani paddle boards at second wind. Not to mention I 've been seeing a lot of people out paddling either while driving on hana highway or out kiting at kanaha. If I had a car that could carry the thing I would get into it for sure.

Toast

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:02 pm

In doing research I came across that Jimmy Lewis is shaping standup surf boards but couldn't photos of any that weren't copyrighted. Can anyone put some shots up of his and other boards being put together for standup out there?

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:47 am

I have heard of quite a few guys that are now doing this. So how about some input. What do you think so far?

I saw one go by really fast while I was swimming just now. Wondered what it was, since the guy appeared to be doing a lazy imitation of a Venetian gondolier but the board was flying, even perpendicular to the waves.

Bet that long carbon fiber paddle has a nice, energy-storing "twang" to it, like those oars used in racing shells. Good that they have a takeapart version of the paddle, but where is a takeapart board (for paddle surfers or kitesurfers)? Until then, my wallet is safe.

Another thought is that maybe this is the new sport kitesurfing has been waiting for to take the pressure off. The newest extreme sport on the block attracts the craziest participants as well as negative attention from the press and the neighborhoods. So maybe some yahoos will move on, and contribute their used kite equipment to the market...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:35 am

I was watching the ocean today and wind waiting, sort of. Can't quite go back in the water yet but what's a bit of torture? Anyway, the wind wasn't quite at kiting minimums and yet some small 1 to 3 ft. waves were coming in. Probably related to a distant storm center moving in over the Bahamas. There wasn't anyone surfing in the area either.

Looking at the sets, I imagined that you could pickup and start riding waves with a standup rig well offshore, further than guys conventionally paddling in would be able to start and you would be able to get the ride going longer. You could own the surf and be having a great time, while kiters are wind waiting and regular surfers don't even bother or have to settle for short hops. Hmmm

You could be right in this being a transition sport for some. I think most of the guys might use it for a filler though. Grabbing more quality water time that otherwise might be left unused. Time will tell.

What else do guys think that are doing this currently?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Apparently Laird Hamilton and others go on long distance paddle trips when there is no surf and no wind. Just for the exercise. Those guys have a lifestyle that many of us dream of having but it is also a job and they work and train to be able to do it.

I could see that being a good way to get some exercise and possibly a bit more fun and a bit more "cool" than sitting in a kayak. It would be easier to find a little more space in the garage for a long board than a sea kayak.

BTW. Those stand-up paddle boards are 12' long. My longboard is 9'6".

BBTW. The last issue of Surfer magazine had a picture of Laird tubed on one of those boards with the paddle carving through the face.

kitedad
Rare Poster

Postby kitedad » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:09 pm

God those things are obnoxious. You ever have a kook on a 12 foot board with zero control and a 6 foot long paddle come at you. Laird is a steroid fueled animal and his posse is a bunch of idiots(except Dave K). Stand up is good for breaks that are out of the question for regular surfing, but Laird and his dogs are going out at Hookipa and screwing it up for regular surfing. Now the kooks are getting into it and that always spells mayhem.

Return to “Kitesurfing”