Thanks a lot Slingshot

Forum for kitesurfers
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Thanks a lot Slingshot

Postby papasmerf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

A very sincere thanks to Slingshot for making that Surefire releasable spreader bar. A great piece of equipment that worked great today.

and if anyone from slingshot reads this, please thank the guy who invented it.

that bar came in very, very handy today during a certain "surprising moment" And that's all i got to say about that.

also thanks to dakine for their nicely padded fusion seat harness.

TheAlbinoSmurf
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: THANKS A LOT SLINGSHOT

Postby TheAlbinoSmurf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am

Come on Papa Smerf (sic),

I'd like to hear what kind of a jam the SS surefire spreader bar got you out of. I've heard mostly good things about this product.

The Albino Smurf

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Thanks a lot Slingshot

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 am

yes, please share. You might save someone else's life with sharing your story.

Thanks
Toby

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:47 am

I've never flown a Fuel I didn't like (except for the big ones >15m back in '04). Great F&*%^ing kites but that chicken loop they've been putting on the bars the last couple years completely sucks for people that like to unhook. The way it rotates makes it difficult to unhook and hook back in. There's so much crap on it that it makes it uncomfortable and difficult to hold the bar in the middle. The stainless steel fitting for the c-loop rope on the bar is too weak and is prone to breaking and being damaged. They were making such a nice bar in '04 and they turned it into something that looks good in the shop with all it's features but sucks for actual riding.

If you want to talk about safety, it's a simple fact that push away systems like Naish has made from the beginning and many brands since have followed suit are a lot easier to activate.

Noabacca
Frequent Poster

Postby Noabacca » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 am

Satan wrote:I've never flown a Fuel I didn't like (except for the big ones >15m back in '04). Great F&*%^ing kites but that chicken loop they've been putting on the bars the last couple years completely sucks for people that like to unhook. The way it rotates makes it difficult to unhook and hook back in. There's so much crap on it that it makes it uncomfortable and difficult to hold the bar in the middle. The stainless steel fitting for the c-loop rope on the bar is too weak and is prone to breaking and being damaged. They were making such a nice bar in '04 and they turned it into something that looks good in the shop with all it's features but sucks for actual riding.

If you want to talk about safety, it's a simple fact that push away systems like Naish has made from the beginning and many brands since have followed suit are a lot easier to activate.
I don't know, Satan.....
The bars seem pretty clean to me, even when using the below the bar depower.
The bar sheeting components and swivels are the most compact,
lightest weight, most functional, and easy to maintain and or replace when worn out,
of all the models available on the market today, in my opinion.

and I have no problems holding the bar in the center.

As for the chicken loop, you can always tighten up the gap between the loop chasis and the cleat holder by unscrewing the cleat holder pulling it down hard and re-screwing it in, and that will stop the bottom loop from rotating on the bearing so easily.

Note: styling and hair looming service provided by Sy Swerdlow, blehghhhhh!

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Flew a RPM for a couple hours and had my hand placed around the center line as you do in this picture and the rope center line dug a whole in my middle finger that is still closing up two and a half weeks later.

How do people that use this set up avoid this? Don't say move your hand away from the line either, it is a hand placement that is essential for some unhooked tricks.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Bar setup is completely independent of the Surefire Spreader Bar feedback that started this thread.

The Surefire spreader bar will work with any kite and that is what I love about it. I have used this system since they released it in 2004 and it has never failed...but has saved my bacon on occasion.

What I like best about the system is that it is the same no matter white kite you fly. You do not have to adapt to different safety systems. My release trigger is always in the same place and it is instinctual that I can hit it no matter what kite I am demoing or buying. Great work! :thumb:

While we're on the topic and since Shy is probably reading this...my only complaint is it hasn't changed in 5 years. People are still buying it...its simple...it works...but I know some would like the option of different shaped hooks, shorter spreader bars, etc. The handle pass version is nice, I'm sure.

In any event, if you own one, just test it regularly and rinse it off with fresh water after a day of riding and it will work for you for years! I ended up replacing mine just because I was nervous that it had lasted so long (everyone says the strain on spread bars will cause them to fail eventually), so I use my original as a backup. Great product. Thanks, SS!!!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Were you hooked in?
I don't think there is a way to avoid this being a pinch point, on any chickenrope.
If the rope is moving through the hole while your hand is there, or you pop and land with the hand there, watch out, be careful.

Maybe there could be a way to put a little flange around the hole, to locate/restrain fingers.
But not like they did before with a metal tube in '05. That tube bit me hard one time....

It would have to be something shallower and wider, but this can also be uncomfortable.
I think the trade off is comfort most of the time, with a risk of pinching, or less comfort, in return for less pinching. In the end there's always a chance for pinching, I think that is why the manufacturers just leave it as a hole.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 pm

papasmerf wrote:THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

A very sincere thanks to Slingshot for making that Surefire releasable spreader bar. A great piece of equipment that worked great today.

and if anyone from slingshot reads this, please thank the guy who invented it.

that bar came in very, very handy today during a certain "surprising moment" And that's all i got to say about that.

also thanks to dakine for their nicely padded fusion seat harness.
Will do! I will pass this on to our R&D crew. Hopefully this stoked will get them fired up to make a updated one. :thumb:

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 pm

i know its OT but in regard to the bar i find that the below bar depower reallly gets in the way for unhooked since when its trimmed out it sticks out and hits your hands if you got them near the middle.

Also the chicken loop was a huge pain to hook into before i took the donkey dick out but now that i have its easy

Return to “Kitesurfing”