Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

kite pants / bugs

Postby vp » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm

I keep getting bit around my ankles by some invisible bugs when i teach / ride at our local spot. I only notice the bites the next day and they start with a small itch, but then develop into red bumps and the itchiest bites I've ever experienced for about 3 days. Not even sure if it comes from the water or land. Not everyone at our local spot gets these bites, but few others do as well. Tried to do some research and it could be either chiggers on land or sea lice in the water.
Does anyone else get something similar?
What do you use for protection?
There used to be a company making kite pants, but i cant seem to find them anymore. Looking for something to protect my ankles.

thx

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: kite pants / bugs

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Its either crabs, or the dreaded venomous crotch crickets -Not sure which.... :lol:

Just kidding, get some "Skin so Soft" from Avon and slop it on. It works :wink:

BTW,chiggers look like tiny red dots and are usually found in wooded/ bushy areas.
What you're getting bit by is probably what we call "no-see-ums" if you're near a mangrove area. The skin so soft should do the trick.

Happy itching :bye:

vp
Frequent Poster
Delta Hydrofoil

Postby vp » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:Its either crabs, or the dreaded venomous crotch crickets -Not sure which.... :lol:

Just kidding, get some "Skin so Soft" from Avon and slop it on. It works :wink:

BTW,chiggers look like tiny red dots and are usually found in wooded/ bushy areas.
What you're getting bit by is probably what we call "no-see-ums" if you're near a mangrove area. The skin so soft should do the trick.

Happy itching :bye:
is this what you're talking about:

http://www.cosmeticsolutions.biz/servle ... ard/Detail

i thought chiggers were "no-see-ums"..

thanks !

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 am

Yep, that will work, but seems kinda pricey. My girlfriend says Skin so Soft is an Avon product and has a couple of different ones, so you need to find an Avon store, an Avon lady, or order it online.

Chiggers are sometimes called "Redbugs" (cuz they're red) and cause swelling/ nasty rash.
No seeums are practically invisible and you DEFINITELY know when they bite you.

Good luck

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby grantman54 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 am

i hate noseeums

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Krazedkiter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 am

Yup. Defintitely sounds ike no-see-ums. Bastards!

Chiggers are usually in wooded areas. I think skin so soft is a regular Walgreens/CVS or whatever your local drug store name is product.

Good thing is they usually dont go above your legs. I couldnt imagine the itch that would cause if they went further :o

vp
Frequent Poster
Delta Hydrofoil

Postby vp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:31 am

so, does anyone else use Skin-So-Soft? I did some googling and found a bunch of different Skin-So-Soft products. Which one do you recommend exactly?
Also found this:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

"Mark Fradin and Jonathan Day of the University of Florida tested 17 nationally marketed mosquito repelling products under laboratory conditions. They asked 15 volunteers to stick a forearm coated with repellent into a cage containing 10 mosquitoes and observed how much time
elapsed before the first bite. Products containing DEET repelled best, and the more DEET they contained, the better they worked. Off! Deep Woods, which contains 23.8 percent DEET, provided the longest-lasting protection: 302 minutes on average. By contrast, Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil failed after 9.6 minutes, on average.

For decades rumor has held that Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil is an effective counter to mosquitoes, yet a 1993 Consumer Reports analysis found it ineffective for that purpose. Because so many people were buying the product for its purported mosquito combating properties, in 1994 Avon added a non-DEET repellent and a sunscreen to the popular bath oil and began marketing the new concoction as Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Repellent. Avon disputes the 2002 results posted in the New England Journal of Medicine study, claiming its Bug Guard Repellent works for three hours, not the 10.3 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent and the 22.9 minutes for its Bug Guard Repellent Plus the study found, but a 2003 Consumer Reports analysis found the Skin-So-Soft repellent deterred mosquitoes for only one hour."

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:42 am

Sounds just like the stuff we get at a particular beach here in Brooklyn - elsewhere in the area too, but especially at that beach. Since you're in Jersey, it's probably the same thing.

It's definitely a water thing. Sea lice is the closest thing we can figure. They affect people differently, but your symptoms/description is dead on.

I'm lucky enough to be less vulnerable to their bites/stings, so I just live with it, but there have been guys who wear full wetsuits through the summer because of it. One guy got a full lycra suit - I think it was an undersuit for scuba divers or something.

We tried jellyfish repellent, but it didn't help.

vp
Frequent Poster
Delta Hydrofoil

Postby vp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm

randykato wrote: One guy got a full lycra suit - I think it was an undersuit for scuba divers or something.
yup.. that's what i'm thinking.. something like this should help:

http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=462
or
http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=461

looks a bit fruity, but i really dont care if it helps.

are there any companies making kite pants? or that's done with?
Ultra Nectar used to make these, but their site is down and cant find any online.

trkite
Rare Poster

Postby trkite » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:01 pm

German site: http://www.handmade.de/concept-rider-lo ... 835586e57d

Patagonia made a surf pant last year but not this year. Just like their surf trunks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”