Forum for kitesurfers
Trio
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RPM Owners....a quick quiver question

Postby Trio » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 am

What type of quiver do you ride in the RPM's? I am 185lbs and right now i'm on the Rev's. I have a 9m and 15m and they work pretty good together with 2 boards bridging the gap. I am thinking about doing an 8m and 14m RPM this year. Will that combo work? Does anyone know how a 14 RPM compares to a 15 Rev? Are the RPM's more or less grunty? I know it's 1m down but they are very different kite designs and must produce a different power delivery.

Thanks!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: RPM Owners....a quick quiver question

Postby abel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Last year I had the REV 11; too grunty for strong winds (>24KNt).
This year I settled for the RPM 10 and two boards, the big one being a 145x45 for light winds.
This, one kite-two boards, quiver covers 13 to 30 knots. Fully enjoyable between 14 and 25.
If your spot doesn't have frequent winds beyond 20 knots, I would go for a the 10, as it will cover better the "regular" winds (15 to 20).
For lighter winds I think it might be a good idea to keep the REV 15 (up to your satisfaction with it), as the REV has more pull.

My prehistory experience for light winds were Rhino 2 16m and a 22m monster that kept me upwind starting at 8Knots and lulling. :wink:

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

I agree with abel keep the rev 15. Sell the 9 Rev and buy a 10 rpm complete and an 8rpm Kite only.
You will have an excellent quiver for all conditions.
I rode a Rev 15 and 10 RPM for 2009. I am 210 lbs. This quiver was good from 13knts to 35.
For your weight having the 8, 10 RPM you will be covered plus a big 15 for light wind.

I rode the 14rpm and liked the Rev 15 better for relaunch and turning speed.
The 10RPM is my all time favorite kite.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:49 pm

My RPM 10 rocks. I weigh 175lbs, and hardly ever feel overpowered. THese past few days its been really windy, 20+, and i have been able to manage my RPM 10 with a Liquid FOrce Recoil 136 without any problems. LOTS of boost. I borrowed my buddy's RPM 8 and felt very underpowered at 18 kts.

You might be able to just buy that RPM 10 and follow the posters advice to keep the 15 you already have. I have flown the RPM 12 and 14 and have noticed that they are not as special as the RPM 10 and 8. They seem to be a lot slower than they should... I dunno waht it is, but i don't want them.

BTW, I have a Liquid force Session 16 that I never use and a Havoc 12 that I may start using more often, but does not feel so fluid as the RPM 10.

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

For 2010 go 10 and 14 , the 14 comes with 27 mtrs. lines .

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 am

Gotta agree with the other posters, the larger RPMs (12m+) are not as exciting as the smaller ones. I suspect this is due to the noticeably larger leading edge diameter and the three strut design not being as well suited to larger sizes. The Revs are probably more efficient so I'd recommend you keeping it.

The low end difference between the 12m and the 10m is only a couple of knots and the 10m is way more responsive. If I had to resort to a 2 kite quiver I would have gone 10 & 8m and use a surf-board on the light wind days. I use wake-style setting on the 12m and 10m and free-style on the 8m, primarily becasue strong winds are usually gusty and I need that extra depower.

mcallisterkiter
Rare Poster

Postby mcallisterkiter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:55 am

I am up in the air between the 8 meter and 10 meter 2010 RPM. Does anyone else have wind range advise for these two kites. How much wind do you guys feel comfortable flying these kites? My North Rebel 10 meter is ok for me up to 30 knots. Will the RPM 10 be as forgiving? I weigh 170 pounds. Thanks

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 am

For me, weighing in at 65kg (140 pounds?) on a 132 twin-top the comfortable wind range of the 10m is 15-25knots and 20-30knots on the 8m. I can hold onto bigger gusts and using a surf-board reduces the low end by about 3 knots. I prefer unhooking these days rather than boosting so prefer the lower end of the range.

Wind range of the same-sized RPM and Rebel would be similar but they do fly quite differently.

Simon

mcallisterkiter
Rare Poster

Postby mcallisterkiter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:06 pm

SimonP wrote:For me, weighing in at 65kg (140 pounds?) on a 132 twin-top the comfortable wind range of the 10m is 15-25knots and 20-30knots on the 8m. I can hold onto bigger gusts and using a surf-board reduces the low end by about 3 knots. I prefer unhooking these days rather than boosting so prefer the lower end of the range.

Wind range of the same-sized RPM and Rebel would be similar but they do fly quite differently.

Simon
Don't want to hijack a post but can you expand on how the RPM will fly differently than a rebel? Sounds like the Octane may be more like the rebel? Do you guys like the boosting ability on the 10 RPM or would the 11 octane be better suited for that. I need a large range kite for snow and water in wind from mid teens to low 30s. Up in the air between the 10 RPM or the 11 octane I weigh 170 pounds. Thanks

foorked1
Rare Poster

Postby foorked1 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 am

[/quote]Don't want to hijack a post but can you expand on how the RPM will fly differently than a rebel? Sounds like the Octane may be more like the rebel? Do you guys like the boosting ability on the 10 RPM or would the 11 octane be better suited for that. I need a large range kite for snow and water in wind from mid teens to low 30s. Up in the air between the 10 RPM or the 11 octane I weigh 170 pounds. Thanks[/quote]

ive had the rebel 09s (9 and 12m) before i decided to go with RPMs, i brought a 6 and 10 combo. i would say that the 10rpm has slightly more bottom end than a rebel 09, less boost for big air.
for me (75kgs) the 10m RPM goes to max 25 - min 17 knots. anything over that i go with 6. i dont think RPMs have a large wind range comparing it to a rebel

Return to “Kitesurfing”