Style: Freerider
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

10 days Ilha do Gajiru?

Postby zwawepy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:48 am

Hey watsup! Great site, lots of info.
I was reading through the comments on Ilha do Guajiru and a couple of things really caught our attention. We are looking for flat water and 20-25knots.
1/ Are there no riding days when there is low tide? Is it that bad?
2/ Anyone tried full moon kiteboarding there or close to there?
3/ We are a group of about 10 and want to stay in a quiet place, no car, ilha seems to fit. Or no?
4/ Anyone familiar with either wind village or pura vida pousadas? Comments, ratings? :)
5/ Sept 15 to 25th are the dates, i weigh 85kg and have a 10m. It doesnt handle 27+ very well... are winds that strong in sept? My girlfriend 55kg 9m.
6/ Is there a good wave spot nearby?
7/ When the tide is low, does it smell bad?
8/ Food rating?
9/ General pricing?
10/ Any comments, suggestions, tips VERY WELCOMED.
Its our first time to Nordeste!
Thank you!
zw

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: 10 days Ilha do Gajiru?

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum!

1. You can ride at low tide. Limited space though, but you can ride in perfect flat water 1km downwind at the river mouth.
2. Full moon at the river mouth
3. It is quiet there, only about 50 kiters. Village 5min with car
4. Wind village is new and nice, maybe sleeps 8 people. Breakfast i think not.pura vida just renovated, simple but ok.
5. Sept and Oct are strong...could blow 25-30 daily. Add a 7m and you will be fine
6. There is a small wave, you need to do a trip with downwinder
7. no
8. Food basic. Should have fresh fish
9. pretty ok
10. shoes recommended if you stand more than you ride, there are some shells

zwawepy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach
Paraguay
Favorite Beaches: Punta del Este
Key Biscayne
Style: Freerider
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby zwawepy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Thank you Toby! Great info!
Looks like you know the area quite well... do you live close by, do you visit alot?
Everything sounds great! We'll start looking at a 7m (do you know if they sell kite equipment there?) Used ok, i dont think i will use a 7m anywhere else... How about long sleeves UVprotect riding shirts?
Strong winds!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:09 pm

I live 6 months per year in Cumbuco...2.5 hrs drive southeast from IDG.

Gear is expensive there...rather look at home to find one. If you meet a pro, they sometimes sell gear before they leave...but later in the year.

Not sure if they sell long sleeve lycras there...they for sure do in Cumbuco.

cometix
Rare Poster

Postby cometix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Being fed up cutting our feat with shells, we ended up looking for booties and shops sellings them were nowhere to be found. We were told to go down to Paracuru... We witnessed a bladder explosion that required repair and I think the closest "kite doctors" were either in Paracuru or in Jericocoara - at least we were told. It was last september, so maybe they have improved commodities since then.

Other than that, I would second Toby. Quiet place - except the Thursdays if I recall because they have local celebrations close to the Pousadas. And it's a good place to kite, decent at low tide, depending on what you like to do. We spent 10 days there and enjoyed it. You just wake up and walk to the beach to kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Did you manage to buy shoes in Paracuru, or anywhere else in NE Brazil?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:06 am

Toby wrote:Did you manage to buy shoes in Paracuru, or anywhere else in NE Brazil?
They sell them at the shop at Cumbuco's petrol station. So if you don't want to bring them from home, drop in on your way.

Cheers

woonder
Medium Poster

Postby woonder » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:19 pm

this is my experiance:

Hey watsup! Great site, lots of info.
I was reading through the comments on Ilha do Guajiru and a couple of things really caught our attention. We are looking for flat water and 20-25knots.

1/ Are there no riding days when there is low tide? Is it that bad?
you can ride... but as toby said... limited space

2/ Anyone tried full moon kiteboarding there or close to there?
see toby

3/ We are a group of about 10 and want to stay in a quiet place, no car, ilha seems to fit. Or no?
if you want to buy something to eat.. you have to have a car or go behind a motorcicle... no stores there. quiet place... haha... yes well.. not really..

4/ Anyone familiar with either wind village or pura vida pousadas? Comments, ratings? :)
WV - expensive, smells like shit (true!!!) i took a shower there and smell like shit.. the lagoon smells bad too...

7/ When the tide is low, does it smell bad?
It smells constantly bad... i still think they dump everything in the river...

8/ Food rating?
cheap... but some had really bad issues...

9/ General pricing?
WV is really expensive for what it is...

10/ Any comments, suggestions, tips VERY WELCOMED.

this is my tip: DON'T GO THERE!!!! a friend of mine told me the same... dont go there... we went there and left after 4 hours...by the way the house next to WV is a whore house for the close town. if you really want to go there... go for 1 max 2 days... don't believe the video... we saw this and thought this will be paradise... its not... it is really bad!!!! you need booties... the lagoon is not even sand... shells and mud... and the wind is super gusty... it is a complete rip off...
im not from brasil and i dont have anything to win ... but if you want some better spots... then i can tell you... honestly... your girlffriend wont like it... mine was so disapointed.... the video is a total rip off....

my 2 cents...

if you are looking for flat water, constant 20-25 knotes, quiet place, friendly and goo food... there are a lot of other places better and nicer...
aloha
p.

kylek
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff

Postby kylek » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I have spent 10 days in Guajiru in '08 and '09. I love that spot!

You'll want a smaller kite than your 10. I go early nov. and have been told Sept is windier (maybe a little rain?).

I dont think the lagoon smells at all. when it is lowest it is still easy enough to kite/walk to the outside ocean side. Ive had several fantastic night sessions there - high tide only!

Pura Vida all day over windvillage! JoJo is the man, humble and helpful ripping kiter. more basic but more authentic. Food options are fine and vary, 5 or 6 pousadas have good menu options. Casa de Bruxa is awesome, Portal da Barra is good, lagoa beach good too.

PVBrasil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru , Itarema , Ceara .
Favorite Beaches: Las Terrenas , Portillo .
Paros , Greece .
Ilha Do Guajiru , Brasil
Style: overall

Postby PVBrasil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 pm

how could people talk so much about the place and only stay 2 days in Ilha do Guajiru !!!!!
I m really sorry for this guys that had this bad experience in Ilha do Guajiru,
but I will not agree totally with what he say ,

1st - yes it's true that on the Thursdays night they is a little party in one of the bar on the beach !!!!
but is not a whore house at all I just a really tipical place !!!!
they have this kind of min concert with this old music from the 70 .... but at 1pm this is done , and is just one day on the week !!!!

2st - I have been competing for more than 8 year on the world tour , so visit a lots of place arrow the world ( Europe , North and South America , Africa ......)
and for my kite school and my self continue train this spot is perfect !!!! ,
I ring my gear on the front of the pousada and go directly in to a Hugh lagoon only with a couple of kiter , so super nice ,
can kite from 7am when the tide is up and finish at 6pm !!!!
they are sand on the high tide , the wind could be gusty when is really strong but if you go some meter down wind of the pousada not even when is strong you will feel the gust !!!!
even when is low tide if you really want to kite you can go down winder as Toby told you or go to the sea side ... so you can kite all day long if it's what you really want .

3st - it's true is a quite place , no much to party or shopping , but if what you want is kite and teach your girl friend and be relaxing is no better place .

of course they will always have people that will not like the place and will complain , it's every where like this ,
you can not make every one happy !!!!
but I can tell you that 90% of our guest come back and stay longer every year !!!!

if you have any other question or dough you can write me directly ,

PS : about our Pousada Pura Vida , is more than a just simple Pousada today , we have different kind of room depending on your budget , also we do have today all kind of food , not only Brasilian as Toby Mind it before . is just that he have not come back visiting us since all the renovation we made for this year, lololol ,
by the way we wait for you Toby coming visit us this year and do some board off ,lolol

Windy Regards,

Joseph Carneiro

www.puravidaplanet.com
puravida-brasil@hotmail.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”