Gear: Sling Shot Rev 2 2009 and Ignition Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot REV 2 2009 Valve Problem

Postby rgill90 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 am

Hi All

First Post here.

My Rev 2009 MK II saw its first light of day in 2010 yesterday, but unfortunately didn't get airborne.

Pumping it up, one of the valves pinged out of its hole on the inflatable bladder - basically the black cable tie which keeps the valve in seemed to have come loose, allowing the valve to loosen itself and therefore ping out under pressure.

I do have spare cable ties lying around the house so i went home and did a fix up job - I checked all other cable ties and some seemed fairly loose so i put a handful of spare cable ties in my kitebag just in case it happens again.

So I thought I'd post my story and photos here to ask if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, whether they fixed it the same way I did and whether you had any problems after fixing it.

Also wondered if anyone can suggest why I might have got the problem - was it just bad luck or am i doing something wrong? Reason I ask is i'm not exactly experienced in this sport / equipment!

Photos below - I did cut the long excess bit off after the photos. thanks for reading!
Attachments
kite repair 2.jpg
kite repair 1.jpg

PGH
Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot REV 2 2009 Valve Problem

Postby PGH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 pm

when you say valve i assume that you mean the pipe blew off..?
my only thoughts on this is: was the clip that isolates the strut from the leading edge closed ?

what you've done should be fine . interesting to hear if it happens again.
never had any of mine come off in four years of having slingshot
:thumb:

rgill90
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Poole Harbour, Hengistbury Head, Mudeford
Favorite Beaches: Poole Harbour
Style: Wobbly
Gear: Sling Shot Rev 2 2009 and Ignition Board

Postby rgill90 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks PGH

Yeap - I meant the pipe!

Can;t really say for sure if the clip might have been closed - But I will remember to check its fully unclipped before I pump up, and then clip. So if it happens again I can then eliminate a closed clip as the culprit.

Thanks for your thoughts - fingers crossed it doesn;t happen again.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:15 pm

It can happen and has happened many times with different 1 pump systems. SS, and Cabrinha come to mind as those are the kites I see the most of. I would rather break a zip tie or lock (like Cabrinha has) than break the kite. The more and harder the kite slams into the water, the more likely this can happen. Carry some extra zip ties with you just in case. If you see a zip tie is loose, just replace it now. Cut the ends off the ties so they can't damage your canopy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”