Florida Keys area

Forum for kitesurfers
ral
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Florida Keys area

Postby ral » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Does anyone know which area's are open to learners in this area?
(I.e Just past the body dragging stage but have had lessons)

Some of what I've read on the Internet suggests some of the beaches are closed to people learning.

We just need a spot with a reasonable amount of space to practice waterstarts in, is there anywhere suitable in that area?

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Has thanked: 0

Re: Florida Keys area

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 pm

If i were you, at this stage. I would contact all the local shops and find out what they offer. Some will be willing to take you on the flats and follow you in a boat. You can do all the waterstarts you want. It will cost money, but prob save you a lot of heart ache and hassle. There is not many, if any place to just set up, and go straight downwind with sandy beaches to land on. Even for me riding 3 years, it was hard to find a place off the beaten path, with easy access.(without a boat). There are plenty of riding spots, just not with wide sandy beaches with downwind relief for beginners. With a boat the possibilities are endless.

ral
Medium Poster

Postby ral » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Andrew,
Might be an option. One of us kites to a good standard and there will always be at least one of us on the beach, so we don't really need any more lessons though, just time in the water.

Just wondered if there any completely open and public beaches we could use without restrictions in place?

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:04 pm

There are some really good spots due to the shallow water. A really good spot is in Marathon at the state park Curry Hammok. It's only a few bucks to get in but it has a great launch spot and lots of shallow water. Might need a shorty till the end of Feb.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey Ral! This is Noel from oTHErside Boardsports in Islamorada, Florida keys. For what you are looking for, your best bets are going to be:

Anne's Beach - mm 73 - Launch anywhere except from the parking lots. Most kiter launch from the small beach next to the southern lot. Do not launch in front of the poles at low tide in front of the northern lot. It is a town park and is shallow out a 1/2 mile. Do not go near the bridge.
Curry Hammock State Park - @mm 56 - Probably your best bet. Large sandy beach, grass rigging area, gazebos, grills, bathrooms and lots of shallow riding area.
Bahia Honda State Park - @mm 27 - stay out of the swimming area. Best riding is the left of the beach parking lot, down off the point. Flat water to small waves.

The 2 state parks cost a few bucks to get in and Anne's Beach is free. The largest spot is Curry Hammock SP.

If you have any questions about anything in the keys including lodging, feel free to give us a call.
oTHErside Boardsports
305-853-9728
www.othersideboardsports.com
83292 Overseas Hwy.
Islamorada, Florida Keys

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Ok I got ya! Either way contact above, it will make things that much better for you.

ral
Medium Poster

Postby ral » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 pm

We are due to arrive out there next week, just packing kites..What kite sizes are people typically using this time of year. I have 8,10 and 14 Torches, think I can only fit two of the three in. I'm tempted to go for the 10 and 14m looking at Windguru stats.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:33 pm

I would pack the 14 and 10m. So far it's been light lately but the forecast is shaping up for next week. Keep your fingers crossed! Water temp is @ 73 F and been about 80 degrees lately. NICE! :P See ya soon!

Return to “Kitesurfing”