Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Should I buy a 5m or 6m??

Postby mikewang » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 am

I don't know what I should buy....

It's mainly for maui winds and hatteras winds (so like 30 to 35 knots)....I'm only 135lb though. Also i got a 9m in my quiver which is a delta Wainman rabbit, but I'm not sure of the high-end on it since I haven't ridden bows/delta kites for a while....

I'm thinking get a 6m to overlap my 9m a little, and just sacrifice those days which are too windy. But i'm not sure what logic/experience I'm basing that on, as I have none of either.

thanks

btw I don't unhook much (just starting) or do anything super aggressive...

unemati
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Should I buy a 5m or 6m??

Postby unemati » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 am

6m kites should handle most of the nuking days, but you can use it probably more than 5m. I think go with 6m. 9 and 6 is better combo imho.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 am

I am 154lb (70kg) and I use 5M kite (Naish 2010 Charger) under 30-35 knot wind. If you are thinking about kiting in 30-35 knot wind, you probably need a 5M kite. My quiver is 5M, 7M and 9M. They works wonder for me.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 am

if only 1 kite 6m

2 kites: 7 and 5

you could use shorter lines in high winds with your 6m :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am

Poldo is right, 5 and 9 dont work at all...

For waveriders, the 6 and 9 combo is quite bad too - and most regret and change it, as you got a huge step from 6 to 9m2 - too big :(

The 9m2 is 50% bigger than the 6m2, and almost double size of a 5m2 :o :o :o

You could also get a 5m2 and see how it goes, because, then you can later buy the "perfect" 7 you need most days :thumb:

Dont know how it works for TT's - but as said, almost everyone here who has taken the 6 - 9 step has regretted it and being a bit pissed most of the times out :naughty:

So a 5 - 9 is a no go, for sure, unless you plan to buy the "missing link" (7m2) later.

6 - 9 "maybe", and 7 - 9 best choice IMO 8)

:D Peter

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm

If I olny had cash for one kite then I would get the 6. I have a 5, 6, 7, and 9 and it works but I have had issues in bigger wind before I had the 6. I had issues with the gaps between the 5 and the 7.

I do love my 5 but it is just a bit small at times even in big wind it has gaps in the lows. Now back to the 7 I do love my 7 but for some reason it seems to close to my 9. When I got the 6 I was much happier with the gaps between the 9 and the 6.

I should tell you I am 165lbs and I ride a Fuel. Could be a bit different then your Deltas.

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Go for the 6m. It will work fine as a jump down from your 9m. If you weighed more than 160 lbs the 7 would be the next best thing. Since your 135lbs when its cranking the 6 will do. The problem with the 5 is in the lulls. Most 5 meter kites only work with 30 knots plus if it drops you will sink. The 6 will pull you through.

Good Luck

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm in the market for a 6 meter ( I have an 8 and a 12 already). This is for those "nuking" days but also those days when I want to use my girlfriend's kite, the 8 meter (which is technically mine anyways) but don't want her crying alone on the beach angry at me.

P.S. Should I get a 10 meter? Will I be happy if I did? I'm a pretty big guy 85Kg and I usually switch to the 8 meter right about when my 12 starts to make me scared.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm

There is no correct simple answer other than it depends. Depends on the kite, depends on your boards, depends on your style, depends on conditions, depends on your size etc..

Some pretty informed and helpful people on here will say a gap is too large when others equally informed and helpful will say the opposite.

I've had 2 different 6m kites in the past two years that couldn't be more different. One was high aspect 5 line c kite that had no low end power but could handle an absolute ton of wind. The new one is a 4 line C shape but with a bridle. It has boatloads of power for its size compared to the other 6m.

Good luck. Unfortunately it often takes a little trial and error to find the right kite for you. We are all so different in our likes and dislikes so all I can say is depends! Not very helpful.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 am

Definitely go with a 6m kite. You will use it more then your 5 meter kite and it is a good gab with your 9 meter kit. And if you get over powered then use some shorter lines. Try 17 meters if the 6 meter kite is too much on your normal lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”