Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Should I use these old kites, or get something newer?

Forum for kitesurfers
digitalronin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mar Menor, Spain
Style: Beginner
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should I use these old kites, or get something newer?

Postby digitalronin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi there

I'm a beginning kitesurfer, and I have a bunch of quite old kites. I'm wondering whether or not I should keep and try to use them.

I've been wanting to learn to kitesurf for quite a long time, and some years ago I had the opportunity to buy 5 kites very cheaply from a guy who was giving up the sport. So, I did. I wasn't able to really get started on kitesurfing until last year, so the kites have been in storage since I bought them.

Now I've taken some lessons, and I'm almost at the point where I will need some equipment of my own. So, I need to decide whether to keep these kites and try to use them, or if I would be better off ebaying them and getting something more up to date instead.

I know the technology has moved on a lot in the past few years, but I don't understand enough to decide if that means that, as a beginner, that the kites I have are so old that they're unusable, or if they would be OK.

These are the kites I have;

* 7m Best Yarga
* 8.9m FreeAir VARC
* 10m Naish Aero
* 13.5m Best Yarga
* 18m Best Nemesis

If anyone has any advice to offer, I would really appreciate it.

David

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Re: Should I use these old kites, or get something newer?

Postby gozokiteboarding » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:39 pm

What year are they?

digitalronin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mar Menor, Spain
Style: Beginner

Postby digitalronin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 pm

That's a very good question!

I've been trying to find out when I bought them, and I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure it was before 2007. It could have been as early as 2005 - I'm just not sure.

They were second-hand even then, although I think the 7m and the 18m were unused, so might have been newer than the others.

Is there any way I would be able to tell by examining them?

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:51 pm

If you knew what I know now, you would not use them, but you don't know what I know now, and you could use them and really enjoy yourself with all the space around you that others will give you when they see what your using,

in two words--bin them--

the little 7 mtr is a great small kite so even today its worth keeping,but only when your good enough to control it

the naish aero 10mtr is still good, but use a up to date bar.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:16 pm

I wouldn't think twice. I'd use them all except the 18m, being 140lbs I wouldn't have use for it.
I'm assuming you don't have any problem doing your home work, then doing some more home work and then some more. If you're not that type then I would say get a lesson first and then shop for a new kite.

But if you enjoy the hassle of learning on your own and on the cheap then go for it. You'll have narrow window of conditions to start with but the window widens fairly fast depending. Mind the weather above all. If you're by the ocean with steady winds even better, if you're inland with gusty conditions that's gonna be more difficult of course. If you can get out in the winter on a snow board even better.

Keep in mind that with your kites, everyone else around you will be jumping higher, riding faster and ride in a much larger wider range per kite than you will with your kites. If that doesn't bug ya you'll be ok.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd eBay them all and put the cash towards a newer kite. Nothing majorly wrong with any of them, Yargas were good kites, but they are just a bit old and limited performance compared to moder kites

Will Barton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Belle mare, cas en bas
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Will Barton » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey...if your local spot has good even wind and plenty of space, get out there and enjoy them. Lots of people including me did all their learning on limited depower c kites....and hey, it was all good fun. New kites are way more comfortable and way easier to progress on, but don't write off what you have. If you live somewhere with a difficult launch + gusty winds and lots of obstacles etc, then its different....

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Those kites are kites which all who i know give for free, because so much had changed.
They are just too old !!!...
For your own safty, & fun-
Invest 200-300 EU for another kind of good 2008-7 kite, you will thank for this advice/choose
Later on when u'll progress a bit. 12-10 size is warmely reccomanded.

E. :thumb:

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 pm

digitalronin wrote:Hi there

I'm a beginning kitesurfer, and I have a bunch of quite old kites. I'm wondering whether or not I should keep and try to use them.

I've been wanting to learn to kitesurf for quite a long time, and some years ago I had the opportunity to buy 5 kites very cheaply from a guy who was giving up the sport. So, I did. I wasn't able to really get started on kitesurfing until last year, so the kites have been in storage since I bought them.

Now I've taken some lessons, and I'm almost at the point where I will need some equipment of my own. So, I need to decide whether to keep these kites and try to use them, or if I would be better off ebaying them and getting something more up to date instead.

I know the technology has moved on a lot in the past few years, but I don't understand enough to decide if that means that, as a beginner, that the kites I have are so old that they're unusable, or if they would be OK.

These are the kites I have;

* 7m Best Yarga
* 8.9m FreeAir VARC
* 10m Naish Aero
* 13.5m Best Yarga
* 18m Best Nemesis

If anyone has any advice to offer, I would really appreciate it.

David
The 13.5 is a 2004. Only year that size was offered. The FreeAir is from around 2002. The others would have to be seen. You can defiantly use some of these kites but get rid of the Nemesis and FreeAir. The FreeAir is made of Mylar and won't last long plus it's pretty old and slow. Also make sure it is 8.9m surface area and not a projected area of 8.9m. Totally different. The 18m is ok if your a bigger guy but if you are taking lessons on an SLE style kite, then you have some more learning to go. Not the same relaunch. If you choose to stick with these kites, stick with the Yargas and Aero.

si-fly
Rare Poster

Postby si-fly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 pm

I still have a 9m Yarga and 12m aero, but dont use them anymore, Aero was 2002, Yarga came out 2004. Have recently flown both when newer kites being repaired and the aero felt really rubbish, Yarga OK but poor bottom end.

I would get rid of most of them and get something like Ion2 which are pretty cheap £200ish. a very stable good all-round kite.

Si.

Return to “Kitesurfing”