Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NHP versus T5

Postby DenisLaMenace » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 pm

thinking to get the NHP 2012 137x44 or the T5 140x44, but not sure if there programs have changed over last years. Been told the T5 is not what it used to be and too beginner now, and the NHP would be more that ??

why Nobile. Local dealer, like the pads, like the shape, like the weight, like the colors, like the 3D construction... My other choice was the XENON RAYO 145x44 still thinking

already have a RRD poison 132x41 twin-tip and a spleene DOOR 159x45

what I'm looking for is a large board that fits in the middle which should :

- handle chops well
- have some good pop
- good light wind capability
- goes upwind easy
- more fun to play with in light wind than the DOOR, knowing that loosing some low end is fair

and would be an excellent 1 board does it all for traveling to not so windy locations

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: NHP versus T5

Postby droffats » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I personally think the T5 is a little too flat for me in chop.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Lord Brush
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Table View
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Lord Brush » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:15 am

NHP is a completely different ride to T5. Lovely board (though mine is a 2010), but not a baord I would class as a "light wind", board. Depends what your weight is I guess.

Have you looked a the Nobile XTR? Light wind specific but apparently still fun. I bought one but not had chance to use it yet :roll:

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot

Postby DenisLaMenace » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 am

@drofat thanks for the info. so I guess the NHP is better in chop maybe because of the rocker, and the T5 would then have better low end

@LB

Yes I know the XTR, which I have tested before. This may eventually replace ma Spleen DOOR

in fact the board I am looking is not a specific light wind board but something in the middle. that is why I thought the 137 x 44 cm would fit there. it's pretty big twin tip. I usually ride a 132x41. My weight is 180lbs, but I ride big kites like the fat lady in light winds.

something to use above 12 knots up to 18 max, but could be use above with a smaller kite

RedStar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oulu

Postby RedStar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:49 am

I have NHP and my friend has T5. NHP seems to have much less upwind capability compared to T5. When wind drops i fastly loose ability to go upwind while my friend still can do it.

And sure NHP has much more freestyle in it. Currently NHP is my only board but whit this board i feel that lightwind board is also needed.

kuczwas
Medium Poster

Postby kuczwas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I don't know what it is with the NHP but I always seem to rip upwind on mine - and it has some considerable rocker... It is great in chop and jumps huge. I have 2011 134cm, 175lbs. Tried many and ended up with this one. Great board.

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster

Postby DenisLaMenace » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:25 pm

thanks for the info all.

managed to get a NHP 134x42 and T5 140x44 demo boards for tomorrow. will be able to make my own decision, and let you know

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster

Postby DenisLaMenace » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:26 pm

tried both yesterday on the FAT LADY during a 3h session where it started below 10 knots and ended a bit above the 15knots mark

tested T5 140x44 while the wind was light. to my surprise the T5 has an amazing low end. IMO this can replace a light wind board. the board is heavier than the NHP. it still rides smooth, and is OK in the chop. it does the job very well for what I am looking, i-e to have a board for LW that is more fun than a DOOR even if low end is not as the same. the T5 a not a big rocker and allowed me to start early, it just does not go upwind as much as a DOOR below 10 knots, but when the wind picked up (above 10) it cranks upwind very fast. Overall an easy board that has a great range. I'd say this is an excellent board for someone who wants to progress

the wind increased later in the session, and I switch to the NHP 134x42. This board is much more fun to ride. Lighter, smoother, carve, edge, pop all better than the T5. very nice in the chop :thumb: I really enjoy the NHP and thinking seriously getting one of them. It tracks upwind easy enough but I only tested it while the wind was strong enough. for sure I will eventually replace my current high wind twin-tip with the NHP

My concern now is since I was thinking about a 44cm board, if I go with the NHP 137x44, it will not have the same low end as the T5, but it would be more fun. not easy to find the perfect board. $$$

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 pm

i had several board brands, but somehow i've always ended with nobile. tried this and that i always returned to them. why? i think because they have most complete range of sizes and styles.
i have 140x44 T5 (2010) for lite wind days and 137x44 NHP (2011) for stronger wind and choppy sea. but i'm 230lb.
friend of mine uses 134x42 NHP as the biggest board and he's about the same weight as you are, and he is perfectly satisfied with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”