Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, 9m, 7m - 2017
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2015
Cabrinha Tronic TT, BRM Paipo, Tomo Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Fever

Postby prelives » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 am

This is a story not of being obsessed with kiting "Kite Fever" (which I am), but of illness caused by kiting....I almost quit kiting because of it. I'm curious if anyone out there has had similar experience or maybe I can help a future kiter with my experiences...

I learned to kiteboard in El Yaque, Venezuela in July. I struggled with it at first because I fell ill shortly a couple days after starting lessons. My symptoms included severe headaches, fatigue, nausea and fever-like symptoms, although I was unable to actually take my temperature. Most symptoms faded after a day and after 2 days off I was back on the water. The symptoms returned after another day of lessons however. I guess I returned back to the water too quickly. My host family was convinced I had Dengue Fever, I figured it was just the flu. I took another couple days off from kiting and recovered and then resumed once again - only to get the symptoms again. Now I connected kiting with the symptoms and after a conversation with my instructor who had never encountered this before we decided my "kite fever" was induced by tightness in my neck caused by looking up at the kite too much and maybe stress - I needed to relax more. I headed back out the next day and forced myself to relax and look less at the kite. This seemed to help, so I thought I was on the right track.

I then traveled on the mainland for a couple of weeks with no symptoms what-so-ever, so was sure that the illness was related to my kiting. I had a few more days back at El Yaque before heading home, so took a few more lessons. Each night I was sick after lessons to varying degrees and it severely took away from my enjoyment of kiting especially when I didn't fully recover the next day and I skipped my last day to just rest up and lay about on the beach.

Back home the wind sucked so I went a few months without kiting much, but finally got a series of good days around Christmas and after the best of them was surprised and dismayed to find myself quite sick that night. This time I considered a new hypothesis however because I was trying some minor tricks and took a lot of falls. I inhaled a lot of water during this session and had quite a bit of coughing afterwards. When I thought back to my early lessons at El Yaque, I remembered similar coughing. I've been surfing for years and had my fair share of serious wipeouts, but never had any symptoms like this at all, which is why I attributed the "kite fever" to my neck and staring up at the kite too much.

While in La Ventana recently I had the chance to test out my newest hypothesis. While on a 2 hour session I was determined not to fall and if so, be very careful to exhale hard / hold my breath. Ultimately the goal was to not induce any coughing what-so-ever. I took one hard fall during this 2 hour session and just rode conservatively and mostly mowed the lawn. You can't imagine my joy that night when I had no symptoms what-so-ever. Next time out, same thing. Even a bit of a stiff neck cuz I took some hard falls. But no symptoms!! I guess when I surf, I don't fall much and when I do, it's a little less sudden and I have time to hold my breath, but my wipeouts when kiting are happening suddenly and forcefully and causing me to inhale (not swallow) salt water, inducing coughing fits and later flu-like symptoms. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to salt water in a way that when it's in my lungs it causes this or if this is normal, but I thought I'd share this just in case someone out there has had a similar experience.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps someone.

-Scott

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kite Fever

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 am

first time I hear that! But, nothing is impossible. I also guess, you are too stressed and therefore tension your muscles and that causes the pain.

Ever tried to take a massage straight after kiting? That would be interesting. Maybe go on a trip to Thailand and get massages before and after kiting.

Or maybe a muscle relaxing medicine? Some oil or lotion that heats up your body before? Warming up? Stretching? Those colored tapes (ask physios about it!)

For sure keep us informed about further experiences.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 am

How are your ears? Sounds to me like the the sickness is related the vestibular system of the inner ear. This system deals with balance and is the cause for sea sickness. What is interesting is that you feel that your sickness could be related to coughing whilst out on the water. When you cough pressure is forced through your ears, nose and throat possibly contributing to your sickness symptoms.

Do you suffer badly with travel sickness?

If the symptoms continue, you should consider taking some sea sickness tablets an hour before your next session.

It may just be that you picked up a mild underlying sickness bug that is triggered through excessive exercise?

Hope you get the problem sorted, sounds awful!

prelives
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ventura,CA
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque, Venezuela
La Ventana
Emma Wood
Style: Freestyle
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2015

Postby prelives » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:02 am

I'd considered my ears being related to the problem, but I've never had issues surfing at all. Also had major water in nasal passages from surfing, yet no sickness issues. Long time sailor on both mig mono hulls and catamarans and I don't get sea sick. Note that I don't think it's an underlying illness because it took place over nearly 6 months. It hasnt happened in a while since I've worked hard to exhale when I crash, but then again the wind has sucked and I haven't been out much lately either. Thanks for your thoughts so far!!

-Scott

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Jdizzle wrote:How are your ears? Sounds to me like the the sickness is related the vestibular system of the inner ear.
Though of good intent, I am afraid you are on the wrong track. Headache, fatigue and fever-like symptoms are not suggestive of vestibular dysfunction. Nausea may be of vestibular origin but only if it arises as a result of vertigo. I wouldn't think that he should bother checking his ears.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Absolutely. Drinking the local water (usually from a failed superman kiteloop) is a reliable purgative inhaling it is a good way to get pneumonia.

But I always say, if you aren't drinking the water, you aren't trying hard enough.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 am

How about allergies related to wetsuits? Or other kite gear? or maybe that would only result in rashes?

prelives
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ventura,CA
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque, Venezuela
La Ventana
Emma Wood
Style: Freestyle
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2015

Postby prelives » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Not wetsuits since I never have a problem surfing. Kite gear??? Prob not since it's not EVERY time kiting. The only thing I notice is it seems to be related to hard wipeouts and I think I had (hopefully pass tense) a habit of inhaling (maybe in surprise) as I crashed and would come up coughing. Coughing would last for a few hours after kite session. Then the headache would begin followed in varying amounts fatigue, fever, chills, nausea.

The last few sessions (including 90 minutes yesterday with a couple of good hard spills, but no coughing) I have not suffered from any kite fever other than my obsession with getting back out there again ASAP! :-)

I think it could be an allergy or systemic reaction to the salt water in lungs - not good, I know. Keep up the good ideas - I appreciate it!!

Scott

Return to “Kitesurfing”