looking for a newbie kiteboard

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

looking for a newbie kiteboard

Postby keegster17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:17 pm

guys looking for assistance on a kite board for a beginner? I have just recently purchased a Slingshot Turbo 3, size 14M kite 2008, now I require a kite board. I plan to Kite board in Lake Ontario, and Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada, And possibly in the future down South were ever. I can't confirm average winds but I would say low, 8 knots to 20 knots? water maybe a little choppy? I am 170lbs, 5, 8" tall. Looking for a good recommend size board and brand name?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: looking for a newbie kiteboard

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:53 pm

keegster17 wrote:guys looking for assistance on a kite board for a beginner? I have just recently purchased a Slingshot Turbo 3, size 14M kite 2008, now I require a kite board. I plan to Kite board in Lake Ontario, and Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada, And possibly in the future down South were ever. I can't confirm average winds but I would say low, 8 knots to 20 knots? water maybe a little choppy? I am 170lbs, 5, 8" tall. Looking for a good recommend size board and brand name?

Maybe you could test out the new Naish board called the Ride. Check out the post on this page. :-)

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Sorry should of mentioned looking for a used board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

keegster17 wrote:Sorry should of mentioned looking for a used board.
Ah, well if it is your first board...I would get a HUGE board...an old beater that you can sell after you are done. I have a board (no I am not proposing you buy it..shipping would be insane for that shitty old board) that is perfect for beginners because it is huge, and floats well. That gives you time to make up for mistakes...gives you the option to go in a little lighter winds.

So go to your local forums or CL or whatever, and dig out a cheaper old beater...just make sure it is a big board.

Once you learn to go upwind you'll know more about what you are looking for. :-)

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 pm

when you say huge, how big is huge? do you have a exact size in mind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”