Seat harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to not become a dragster on the beach

Postby symont » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm

First post alert!

Hello all,

I am a total newbie. Never been on the water yet. I have though been flying 2 and 4 strings acrobatic kites for years. On my first and only try, strictly on the beach, barefoot, I was not too much disoriented and I could do almost anything I wanted with my hooked kite, a Falcom Raptor II 7m in light wind (sin wave, figure 8, hovering, landing, etc…). I also got familiar with the safety release systems.

I did not dare trying my Wikipa AMP 11.9 and my Best Tempest 15, wondering if I would be able to hold it without being dragged on the sand.

So here is my question, if I want to develop the kind of power needed to get out of the water, to get the feel of it, is this something I can simulate on the beach? In other words, when I am at the point where I am almost lying down on my back with my feet planted in the sand, would I then be still underpower on the water? How much?

I am 43 (never too late!), at 5’10’’ (1,77 m) and 160 lbs (72 kg). My board is a Liquid Force Proof 151cm x 42.5cm.

Thank you for your time!

Symont

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Re: How to not become a dragster on the beach

Postby murph68 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Have you had lessons? If not get some! Also those kites are pretty old, newer bow/delta shape would be more suited to where you are at.
Above all have fun!!!

symont
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oka park beach, QC, Canada
Style: Trying to get in the water
Gear: Falcom Raptor II 7m
Wikipa AMP 11.9 (for sale!)
Best Tempest 15 (for sale!)
Liquid Force Proof 151x42.5
Seat harness

Postby symont » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks for your honest opinion. I really do appreciate it.

I understand that I don’t have state of the art kites. But these are the ones I have (for very very cheap) and they did served a generation of kiters well between 5 and 10 years ago (they didn’t knew better, I know). If they manage to learn with them, so can I.

I totally agree with the need for lessons. But before I get there, I want to test if an old shoulder injury is now good enough and up to the task. This is why I am asking my question. I want to get a feel of representative drag and sudden gusts. Then I will know if I invest further in this sport. Like I said, I am use to acrobatic kites and even some low power kites. But I have no idea what kind of extra power we need to get out of the water (with the board drag and water friction).

Faber
Frequent Poster

Postby Faber » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:05 pm

One more here to suggest you at least one lesson.
In this way you won't waste your money and you'll get the chance to a try with proper equipement in safety for you and those one on the beach.
Once done you'll be able to judge yourself.
A good instructor will tell you if your old injury can be an issue.

Hope this help.
Have fun,
Faber

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:36 pm

I also have been flying 2 and 4 lines acrobatic kites for years but power kiting is different. You absolutely need lessons. Trying by yourself on the beach is a real risk for you and for other people.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

symont wrote: I did not dare trying my Wikipa AMP 11.9 and my Best Tempest 15, wondering if I would be able to hold it without being dragged on the sand.
Symont don't waste time on the beach, get onto the water, that way it doesn't hurt as much if you crash. If something goes wrong on the beach and you get lofted into the air, it hurts a lot when you land on the ground.

Both the wikipa and the best tempest are very difficult to relaunch on 4 lines, you have to swim after them until they roll on their backs so make sure you add a 5th line to them so you can do the 5th line relaunch on the water. Modern kites (post 2006 sle kites) relaunch easily by tugging a rear line. It might be worth your time and effort buying a slightly more modern kite just for the relaunch capabilities. It took months or years for an average kiter trying to learn on an old kite what a modern kiter can learn in days because the easier relaunch and better wind range of modern kites make it a lot easier. Back in the old days kiters half the time would be holding on for dear life hoping not to die and the other half of the time barely able to move because of the terrible wind range of those ancient kites. Sure you can learn that way if you want.

symont
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oka park beach, QC, Canada
Style: Trying to get in the water
Gear: Falcom Raptor II 7m
Wikipa AMP 11.9 (for sale!)
Best Tempest 15 (for sale!)
Liquid Force Proof 151x42.5
Seat harness

Postby symont » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Edt, this is very good food for thoughts. I will give this great consideration. Thanks!

And to the rest of you, I would still like to have an answer to my question, if it make sence in any way.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 pm

get a lesson

if you are lying on your back with your feet dug into the sand and the kite in a dive has enough power to pick you up it is enough to ride on the water with

AND it is very dangerous and stupid
get a lesson

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Symont... I guess you got the "take a lesson" bit so I will not insist.

First don't try bigger than your 7m on the beach, your 11.5 and 15 do not have the depower required to safely fly them on a beach. I am from Montreal too, so I know we do not have beaches. If you take one hour of course or supervised practice, you are better doing it in the water, body dragging and power diving and you will know right away. Acrobatic kites can lift you like mad but they generate their power with speed if I am not mistaken. The kites we use are much more grunty...If you drop it in the windwindow and bring it back up you will be dragged and you can potentially injure yourself and OTHERS. If you do like stunt kiting and lean backwards like they do you will load with a lot of energy and the release can be brutal. If you are in gusty winds, you can also be lofted and end up god knows where (our beaches are lined with forest).

Anyways be careful and keep in mind that you do not have the same depower as the rest of us so pay attention. Try kiteforum.ca in the "Liens utiles" section most schools are listed there. Since you know how to fly a kite, you will need One or two courses and you will be good to go.

Cheers!

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm

go ahead and ride those shitty kites. You'll crash a few times, not be able to water relaunch, when you do get up you won't be able to go upwind, you'll be yanked by every gust, it'll be a real pleasure.

Or you could save up and see why modern kiters use modern kites. I learned with that old gear, took years. I see people on new gear riding in a few months.

But hey, do whatever you want, I mean, you've got years of experience kiting right? Oh wait, no, sorry, that's me. Yeah, I wouldn't touch those old kites with a 30ft pole. Why do you think they were so cheap? LOL.

Have fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”