Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Water kiting near Denver?

Forum for kitesurfers
alpower
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Water kiting near Denver?

Postby alpower » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I've been spending a lot of time in Denver and it looks like it will continue for a while. There is lot's of lakes around but I'm wondering if anyone is kiting on any of them or if anyon'e aware of a somewhere close to Denver where you could launch?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Water kiting near Denver?

Postby RickI » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Lake Dillon near Frisco, CO comes to mind, at least in winter. Not sure if they allow water kitesurfing after the thaw or not. You should get in touch with these guys to learn more about kiting in the mountains and in venues down on the flat. I recall there is a lake near Auroa where guys ride in the summer. Be sure to watchout for funky wind and weather there. Wearing a helmet and impact vest is a good idea as well.

http://www.coloradokiteforce.com/home/index.php

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 am

I realize it's a bit of a road trip, but you should check out Lake McConaughy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_McConaughy

I used to windsurf there during my college days at CU/Boulder. Very cool spot if you are nearby, and a fun camp trip for the weekend. Have not been there for many years, so not sure what' happening around the lake.

Other than that I used to windsurf at Boulder Reservoir, but it might be pretty sketchy for kiting...super gusty when the Chinooks come thru.

LAke DIllon should be great for snowkiting.

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 am

Thanks, I was aware of Lake Dillion, I've been by the snow kiting area on the way skiing a few times. With all the mountains and trees it would be very sketchy for water. What I'm really looking for is somewhere within an hour of Denver so I can take off after work. Typically I'm in Denver for 1.5 to 2 weeks a month. I might take a drive by the Boulder resovoir to have a look. Someone else mentioned that to me.

Chungmu
Frequent Poster

Postby Chungmu » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

I lived in Summit County for a number of years and honestly I would not want to kite on Lake Dillon, at least in the summer. Not sure where you would even launch from but the water is cold and the wind is sketchy up there. We used to go down to Denver and windsurf at Aurora Reservoir. Nice lake in the middle of fields if memory serves. Not sure what the rules would be regarding kiting there but sure you can find out. There are a number of other reservoirs around Denver and I am sure at least a few might work for kiting. Like others have said though be careful, the winds around there can change instantly and storms can popup out of no where. We usually tried to get out from the mountains since winds would be more steady.

-C

Jimbud
Medium Poster

Postby Jimbud » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:40 am

Check out our local forum.

http://kiteboarding.meetup.com/36/

You will be able to see where to go and when everyone is going.

Right now we are all snowkiting.

We will be on the water in the next couple of months.

See you around,
Jim

720sports
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dillon Res, CO Aurora Res,CO Lak Mac- NE,
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Corpus, Hatteras, Chucktown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Pulse2 14m, & 10m
Mako Wide 150
LQ Recoil 133- CWB Torque Bindings

Postby 720sports » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm

OK, Lets see if I can get this posted before my access locks up again- Dillon is unkiteable in the summer- no swimming, Lake Mac is 3 hours but a fantastic spot, In Town- you have soda lakes, Standley Lake (expensive unless youwalk your gear in) Boulder res is OK, but winds are flukey- Aurora Res is the best spot IMO- Out on the plains with good clean wind- and NO powered craft- IE no jet skis or wakeboard boats, the city actually improved the launch area dramatically last year by putting in a 100x100 sand area on the scuba beach (not the swim beach- they don't want kiters launching from the swim beach) where it was all weed and thorns, Now having said that understand - Aurora is not for beginners- you must be able to stay upwind, its a manmade res lined with basketball sized rock, and there have been incidents there, including a fatality in that rock I mentioned, you can PM me or stop by Larsens at I70 & Kipling- they are the only local shop, ask for Bill or Lee, they are both very knowledgable on the local spots

David

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks for the info. I will stop by Larsens sometime in the next few weeks to get some local info. I've kited a few sketchy spots and just having sand to launch off sounds bonus. Lately been avoiding the remnants of Great Lakes ice. I've got enough gear that I will just put some in the office in Denver and when conditions and my schedule line up get some riding in. Looking forward to meeting some local kiters.

moppet
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa
Style: Like I have one yet!
Gear: Switchblade 8,10,12

Spleen RIP 137, FlyBoards Door XL

Postby moppet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 am

Anyone doing any kiting near denver now? We are here from Florida for the summer and have our gear, just looking for the spots locals are using these days. I have looked for recent posts but have not had much luck. Any info is appreciated, thanks
gf

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.