Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Nugget 2014 - which size?

Forum for kitesurfers
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

North Nugget 2014 - which size?

Postby faklord » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 pm

This is really a question for one of the North riders who is 'in the know'.

Having played on friend Nuggets (2013) I ordered one, only to subsequently find the supplier is out of stock but 2014 version is in soon.
Since discovered there are two sizes. 5'1" & 5'5" (both 21" wide?)

Question is: which one for me (5'11 83kg or 183lbs) ?

1st thought was: the small one as it is the same size as 2013 model but......a different shape may have different characteristics.
2nd thought I'm probably in the upper half of the average rider weight so maybe the big one...

Only plan to use this in lights winds (<20kts) and smallish waves.

Would be gratefull for any advice on pros & cons of the two sizes (for my weight/size)
Thanks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Nugget 2014 - which size?

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 am

Well can only base my projections on the old one. The smaller one at 83kg. Mate of mine is heavier than you and this board has been a session saver on so many occasions its hard to count them all. I'm not a super fan of the north range, think their are better boards around, but the nugget is really a very good option for what you want.

rowboat
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco @ Crissy Field
Favorite Beaches: NE Brazil w/ SurfinSemFim
Style: strapless foilboard & surfboard
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud D kites
Alpinefoil Titanium foil + Wave wing + FS-1 and custom 0-volume foil board
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for SurfinSemFim, Boardriding Maui & Alpinefoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rowboat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 am

I love my 5'0" Nugget and I'm 5'11" and 190lbs... that said when I bought mine there was only that one size. My Nugget has been a total session saver in many many cases -- but the bamboo deck also failed multiple times. Maybe the newer models have fixed that. Another option is the Axon WTF: http://www.axonkiteboarding.com/wtf.php

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 am

I have a 2012 Nugget and the board is a session saver. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs but also have problems with cracks on the bamboo deck so I'm considering to replace it with a similar shape board. On the 2014 models I'm considering the Space Pickle from Slingshot the shape of the board looks similar to the Nugget and also cost less :thumb: . The Space Pickle looks that have more volume than the Nugget 5'0" from 2012 and 2013.

Nugget:
5'0"x 21"x 2 3/8" (Liters?)

Space Pickle
5'0"x 21 1/2" x 2 11/16" (34L)
http://www.slingshotsports.com/kite/pro ... u-14227050

tmo83
Rare Poster
Gear: Bandit 5
BRM Cloud
two.ag Boards

Postby tmo83 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 pm

I ordered myself a used Nugget from 2013 and still waiting that it will arrive to me.

I had same thoughts about getting 2013 edition or waiting for 2014 and get the larger one. My weight is about 95kg but in the end i decided to get the 2013. I heard from many heavy riders here in germany that it works so good in lightwind conditions also the riders a more heavy. I dont think with 83kg you will need the larger one.

About the deck: The 2013 edition is 400gramm more heavy to fit the qualitiy lacks the deck had. There shouldnt be any problems with this edition.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 am

i'm about 68kg and the north nugget has replaced my airush sector 52. the low end is about the same but the nugget is just way more playful.

my friend bought a 5'4" slingshot SP wakesurf and that board looks almost identical in design to the nugget. i rode his board back to back and the difference in volume was very noticable.

i think the big nugget will be a trade off of an extra knot or 2 in the low end but sacrificing a little on cornering.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:54 am

coleman wrote:i'm about 68kg and the north nugget has replaced my airush sector 52. the low end is about the same but the nugget is just way more playful.

my friend bought a 5'4" slingshot SP wakesurf and that board looks almost identical in design to tnugget. i rode his board back to back and the difference in volume was very noticable.

i think the big nugget will be a trade off of an extra knot or 2 in the low end but sacrificing a little on cornering.
Can you compare the Nugget to the SP? I had been looking at the N ugget for a while, but went with the sp because it was super cheap

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Cheap is Not always better.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

davesails7 wrote:
coleman wrote:i'm about 68kg and the north nugget has replaced my airush sector 52. the low end is about the same but the nugget is just way more playful.

my friend bought a 5'4" slingshot SP wakesurf and that board looks almost identical in design to tnugget. i rode his board back to back and the difference in volume was very noticable.

Can you compare the Nugget to the SP? I had been looking at the Nugget for a while, but went with the sp because it was super cheap

the 5'4" SP clearly had more volume that is apparent when riding. i rode both boards back to back and rode around with my buddy who has the SP. Seems like the nugget is faster with board speed, but i suspect that the fins are playing a big role here as well as the size. the smaller nugget i think will naturally be a little quicker across the water than the larger wider SP, but those SP fins suck. I can tell the board should be able to be driven harder but the fins wont allow it, and you can really feel the flex in them. SP as a result feels alot looser and is easier to slide out, which is kind of fun.

overall the boards are very close in what they do and how they feel, but i will say that the nugget can cross over into high performance free riding while the larger SP will be better for light wind and bigger waves due to the entry rocker on the board being significantly bigger than the nugget.

i use a single front strap on the nugget which greatly helps at high speeds. i think the smaller SP with better fins and a front strap would bring the two boards within hairs of each other in terms of what you can do with them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”