forum for kitesurfers

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

VACATION - PLEASE HELP

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 am

Okay so here's my dilemma. I'm going away the second week of March and I need to know where to go. Brazil is unfortunately out of the question even though I was previously told it would be the best. So what I'm looking to know: Place with the most wind, best local spots, night life, places to stay, what kite sizes to bring, temperature, flat flat flat water (very flat haha), and anything else you can help me out with.

places I'm considering - (any others are VERY welcome)

south padre island texas
corpus christi
cabarete dominican rep.
cayo coco cuba
coche venezuala

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: VACATION - PLEASE HELP

Postby Eduardo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:29 pm

SPI and Corpus are not known for night life. But that time of year will be spring break, so if you call drunken 20 year olds night life... It's a great time for wind.

Check out wind stats on windfinder.com and also windsurfing sites have a lot written (try http://www.club-mistral.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) both about wind conditions and night life for places like Venezuela, DR, ...

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Cape Town South Africa

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Do you have any more info

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:10 pm

you can already forget Cabarete (no flat) and Coche (no night life)

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Anybody know about Cuba? How windy is it in march in general?

shastadogs2
Medium Poster

Postby shastadogs2 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:34 pm

yes, grasshopper, the age-old question: what spot is best?
well, what are your priorities?
1. best wind: no matter what else is going on, if there is no wind it is not a kite vacation. best wind has to be brazil, although maybe not in march. coche is prolly your best bet on this side of the rock, but NO nightlife unless you roll it into porlamar. ditto the outter banks and spi. dunno about cc but it looks a lot like padre-great when the wind blows, sucks at night and when its calm. maybe cartegena. winds in the caribbean are for the most part frontally-driven and in my studied experience always a gamble.
2. best lodging: get used to a hard flat-out fact: most windy beaches are deserted as a mutha fucka. or to put it another way-Paris' dad dont build many 5 stars on some wind-blasted stretch of sand. (reminds me of an advert for wind shades i saw in buxton:" dont let the wind spoil your vacation." wtf?) oh, i get it-most of the great-unwashed are not out lookin to spend 3 or 4 large for 7 days of 15-20knots side-onshore, doyathink?most kitebeaches are barren and lonely. hell, i wouldnt go unless i had this fuckin' jones.
3. Best lodging and kiting digs in my considerable experience: st lucia is nice when its on, google the reef club and juliette's lodge. march is a good month there-expect 50-60% of days kiteable. no nightlife, though. Cozumel-great nightlife, and cool places to hang, but wind is very iffy. (sorry adrian, i love ya man but i gotta keep it real.) vietnam looks promising but nightlife-got no idea. and the 13 1/2 flight segment from the left-coast into seoul or whereever is an ass-kicker!
4. cabarete, when it is on (again, the caribbean, although the dr has a good thermal component when the island heats up) may be the finest combination of wind, women and walls. Gotta watch out for AIDs though, dude. Make sure you wrap that wrascal!!!
good luck and good winds.
jimmi

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks for the good reply. I would much rather have a week of amazing wind then not alot of it and alot of partying. I get drunk enough at home , I just want to kite. Sounds like coche and st lucia are good, any more info on those two?

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 pm

anybody?

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Try Peru. A that time of the year you might not have the most consisten wind up un Mancora, but for certain 4 or 5 days a week of about 20knots (but not flat... this is pure wave spots). Nightlife in Mancora is OK.
South of Lima you can kie in Paracas (there you will find grat flats and some waves as well) There you should have 7 days/week of 15 to 25 knot wind... but forget the nightlife.
For epic wind & waves try Pacasmayo (look it up in youtube, no words can describe it); and march is the best month for Pacasmayo. Perfect lefts that peel for 1/2 mile, consistent side/offshore wind and butterflat in between waves. Some nightlife available, but you'll have to lower your standard a bit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”