volume311
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Newport RI
Gear: Strings and blankets
Brand Affiliation: None

2015 Best RP V5 bar, mini chicken loop?

Postby volume311 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 am

Hey all, picked up a brand new one recently, and coming from a 2010 Red bar, the chicken loop feels ridiculously large. Cant quite locate a mini version, and am not quite ready to start hacking this one up. Anyone have a source or compatibility from other versions? Thanks!

Sun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m TS V5, 9m TS V6, 7m TS V6
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
Core Fusion
Nobile XTR

Re: 2015 Best RP V5 bar, mini chicken loop?

Postby Sun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Just a heads up: At some point (2014?) Best changed the design of the RP/GP QR chickenloop that is not easy to tell externally. When you have the QR released, is the metal ring on the end of the open chickenloop round or square? Square is the newer design (V3?), round is the older design (V2?). They cannot be mixed, so just check to see which you have.

Just as a heads up if you find a place that sells parts. I bought one a few months ago but think it was from Best direct. Will go digging through my transactions later today.

As an aside, I think it should be fairly easy to modify, the "fixed" end of the chickenloop is just a loop in the line that wraps around a stud in the QR. All you need to do is trim the plastic tube and shorten the loop. But I understand the desire to have a spare handy. Good luck.

volume311
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Newport RI
Gear: Strings and blankets

Postby volume311 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Yea, mine is the one that has the rectangle metal piece on the side. I'll look around, see if I can find a retailer. Thank you.

A small version doesn't seem to exist on the Best site or retailers...bummer. The stock chicken loop on my 2010 bar was significantly smaller

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm

There is a video on GP website support that shows you how to remove donkey dick but that's same step to change loop..
Open it up and check if that part works out:
http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/2 ... only-small

My friend just cut his down, it's just a matter of making the rope smaller and cutting the plastic... like Sun said.

I actually like the big chicken loop, seems perfect length when sheeted in fully, though had a hard time working on bar spin kiteloop but my steering line got shorter with time so I made bar throw a bit smaller (which is huge on GP bar) so now it's perfect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”