forum for kitesurfers

Petter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Wave riding unhooked - kite movement

Postby Petter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey guys,

I'd like to start unhooking in the waves. Tried it a couple of times but it didn't really work out, so I'm wondering about the kite movement when surfing unhooked.
Hooked in I'm pretty much swinging the kite from one side to the other, but unhooked that's probably not the way to go?

So any tips on unhooking in sideshore/side-on are more than welcome!

dvntsurf
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1801

Re: Wave riding unhooked - kite movement

Postby dvntsurf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 am

hi petter

think you will find a few posts on this if you search but here is my 2 cents.

in sideshore/side-on i usually unhook just before i drop in on the wave or as i am approaching heading out. the amount you turn the kite on the waves is sort of up to you and totally depends on the conditions - but it you have a small/fast moving kite you can basically surf the wave with the kite. which means as the kite gets to the wave (above the face) you can turn the kite - this means when you get to the wave you will be able to crank a really sharp turn on the face - as the kite will already be heading back the other way.

i reckon this helps me keep my turns more vertical and snappy. by turning the kite like this and keeping your turns sharp you can stay on the more critical part of the wave - but this totally depends on the conditions - sometimes you might just want to drift the kite along to get round a section or if your kite speed and speed along the wave are about the same and you just want to concentrate on your turns.

other aspect of unhooked I like is that as you link the turns together you can alternatively let go of the opposite hand on the bar and this will really speed up the turn of the kite, your turn on the face and give you a stretched out body position that feels more natural on the wave.

my 2 cents - i also use a fixed line pulley bar when the wind is not gusty which makes kite control unhooked much easier - but not that different to unhooking on a well trimmed bar with a CL

tim

ulx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Re: Wave riding unhooked - kite movement

Postby ulx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:44 pm

using a small kite that only gets you upwind when you move it helped me a lot. and not moving the kite too fast and too low in the turns. try to find some videos of felix pivec or reo stevens or tophat.

Here you can find some "Wave Theory" by Felix Pivec and Tophat:
http://www.theringmedia.com/PDFS/TheKit ... Sept06.pdf

Return to “Kitesurfing”