Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What wetsuit for freezing cold weather? neilpryde?

Forum for kitesurfers
karls
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What wetsuit for freezing cold weather? neilpryde?

Postby karls » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi,

I know this thread has come so many times but the winter is coming back so here it go.
I need to know what is the best wetsuit for freezing cold weather (0 degrees or less).

I had a drysuits for years and I love them but they are very expensive and I always break their super expensive zips, so I am just looking for wetsuits.
My strongest option is Neilpryde elite II or 5000 due at their windproof material (it’s a windsurfing wetsuit) but is there any other wetsuit to take into consideration (for freezing conditions).

Thanks in advance! good winds!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What wetsuit for freezing cold weather???? neilpryde????

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:09 pm

karls wrote:Hi,

I know this thread has come so many times but the winter is coming back so here it go.
I need to know what is the best wetsuit for freezing cold weather (0 degrees or less).

I had a drysuits for years and I love them but they are very expensive and I always break their super expensive zips, so I am just looking for wetsuits.
My strongest option is Neilpryde elite II or 5000 due at their windproof material (it’s a windsurfing wetsuit) but is there any other wetsuit to take into consideration (for freezing conditions).

Thats odd - here the drysuits are not more expensive than the warm wetsuits !

So price is not a parameter here.

5-6mm wetsuits and drysuits are priced around the same.

The GUL Vortex Hooded Winther Steamer 6/5/4mm is one that many can recommend, and used here in winther for kitesurf and surfriding :D

The Neil Pryde 5000 Elite II SemiDry 5/3mm should also be good - havent tried it. But more expensive than most drysuits :naughty:

:thumb: Peter

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Re: What wetsuit for freezing cold weather???? neilpryde????

Postby jedi1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:44 pm

karls wrote:Hi,

npx zealot 6/4 got some nice reviews here, but I haven't tried it. Did you break a drysuit with a plastic zipper ? I know that Ocean Rodeo has better zippers, but those are more expensive unfortunately. Anyway zealot costs pretty much the same as mystic force drysuit..

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Re: What wetsuit for freezing cold weather? neilpryde?

Postby JoshNoe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey Karls. The Neilpryde Elite II is pricey, but in my opinion, it's the warmest wetsuit available for wind sports on the market. The entire suit is made of Japanese S5 Limestone neoprene which is warmer and more windproof than any neoprene on the market, and VERY stretchy. It also has Zirconium hollow fiber insulation on the inside of the chest, back, and legs down to your knees. This stuff traps heat and releases it slowly back into your body. You can even leave it inside-out in the sun before your session and it'll absorb the heat and then release it into your body while you're riding!

Call your local shop. Even if they don't have them in stock, they can special order one for you. There are some 2009s on closeout right now.

karls
Medium Poster

Postby karls » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:17 am

hi,

thaks for you answer. I know the elite is the better one, what about the 5000??? will be fine with it in those freezy conditions combine with a 3mm woody top?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Karls,
Perhaps you can evaluate why you brake the zipper. When treated ok they should not brake.
I use a Ocean Rodeo drysuit for years now and never experienced any problems whith the zipper.
Regards,
Arjan

wallywally
Rare Poster
Local Beach: isle of palms
Style: freeride
Gear: north kite, mako wide, skywalker,

Postby wallywally » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 pm

i have had many wetsuits, drysuits. IMO go with the drysuit wetsuit style. slick outside, like the pro motion. i an not trying to sale here but i am going to buy one. feels just like a full wetsuit but no water goes in when you have to body drag. that means warm balls. $400 on sale now.

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:16 pm

karls wrote:hi,

thaks for you answer. I know the elite is the better one, what about the 5000??? will be fine with it in those freezy conditions combine with a 3mm woody top?
The 5000 is very warm too, but since there are such good deals on Elite II suits right now, you can probably find one close to the price you'd normally pay for the 5000.

Post or PM me where you're located and I'll gladly put you in touch with your local dealer.

tonyh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin.
Gear: *

Postby tonyh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 pm

JoshNoe wrote:Hey Karls. The Neilpryde Elite II is pricey, but in my opinion, it's the warmest wetsuit available for wind sports on the market. The entire suit is made of Japanese S5 Limestone neoprene which is warmer and more windproof than any neoprene on the market, and VERY stretchy. It also has Zirconium hollow fiber insulation on the inside of the chest, back, and legs down to your knees. This stuff traps heat and releases it slowly back into your body. You can even leave it inside-out in the sun before your session and it'll absorb the heat and then release it into your body while you're riding!

Call your local shop. Even if they don't have them in stock, they can special order one for you. There are some 2009s on closeout right now.
I second this, had an original Elite and when it wore out I got the 2009 model, put my thumb through it (lower calf) first time taking it off , brought it back to the shop and explained exactly how it happened.
The suit was returned to Pryde for evaluation and came back repaired with a patch, after a couple of sessions the patch started to tear away, at this stage I got onto Pryde direct and sent some pics.
They came back within days apologising that they were out of my size and wouldn't be producing any more as the 2010 model was imminent, the solution offered was to keep sending the suit back for repair as many times as might be required or hang onto suit and repair myself, and the suit to be replaced with the new improved 2010 suit due to be released Aug/Sept 2010
Now that's what I call good customer service ( don't actually have the replacement yet but believe it's in hand)
I kite all through the winter here (Ireland) and have had 2hr+ sessions no problem... these suits certainly live up to the hype

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am

The thing about these wetsuits that sucks is that a zip replacement (they corrode) will cost more that a 1/2 decent wetsuit. There is a monopoly on watertight zips created by some big companies like CKY who bought into them/the patents to keep the prices stupid high. It means there are many of these wetsuits thrown in the bin when they should not have been - throw away society sucks and I think this is irresponsible. Be Warned.

Return to “Kitesurfing”