Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Higher jumps

Postby adrood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:44 am

Hello to all

I am writting this for a try to improve my kiting jumps. I am really intrested in old school but i dont have the confidence i have enough air yet to start board offs

I will write down some info to let you understand. my weight is 80 kgr (i think thats 175 lbs ) riding 140x40 mako and 10m rise at 20 knots. (lets stick to that conditions) . The water is flat so no ramps and the higher i went so far is 4-5 meters.

Is it possible to go higher without a ramp or i am ok and just need bigger kite or wind speed ? What should be the best technique to improve this ?

Mine is sending the kite to opposite direction around 1 hour difference , the bar is depowering little and at the same time i edge the board pointing higher upwind , and when i feel the kite streching (mostly the feeling from the front lines on your chicken loop) i press back leg to pop the board and pull the bar all way to max power. Is it something i do wrong ?

Thanks
Chris

TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR

Re: Higher jumps

Postby TimS » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

Keep a good speed, send the kite and edge the board short but powerful and jump.
Speed is important too so you don't want to edge the board for a "long" time.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree with Tim. Keep in mind that the mako is a great carving board and good in chop, but its not a great board for boosting. I also have the mako 140 x 40 but can jump much better on my skywalker dimtri pro 130 x 41. Lunacy is a very good jumping board.

E

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 pm

I agree to all above. You need the maximum power concentrated at once. This you get by speed, pulling the bar, popping the board.

A 10 is not that great for old school, a bit bigger and slower kite will make things much easier.
If you want to keep the 10, then make sure to set it to a slower steering setting.

A 130 board plus 12 m kite would be better for old school.

4-5 m height are fine for board offs. Just make sure to have a working stopper, big straps, a handle.

adrood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave

Postby adrood » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 am

Toby wrote:I agree to all above. You need the maximum power concentrated at once. This you get by speed, pulling the bar, popping the board.

A 10 is not that great for old school, a bit bigger and slower kite will make things much easier.
If you want to keep the 10, then make sure to set it to a slower steering setting.

A 130 board plus 12 m kite would be better for old school.

4-5 m height are fine for board offs. Just make sure to have a working stopper, big straps, a handle.
Toby straps are loose enough , my kite is OR rise set at slower speed possible and also at narrow setting on bar. It also provide you a stopper.

On the board i choosed mako cause mainly we have chop , i wanted to mention flat water to make things clearer for me . So so far i understand i need more speed .

Thanks all by the way

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:29 am

ok, sounds good.

Not sure if a bigger board is easier to jump with in choppy conditions. I guess a shorter board will be better...less surface to hit into the water

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm

The mako's strength is being able to carry speed smoothly, not pop. Try practicing going fast and hauling ass comfortably. Instead of trying to concentrate too much on the board's pop, try timing your kite sending with a piece of chop and try sending the kite back harder.

konetoniolo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varzinha
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Wave
Gear: 2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 12m & 9m

2009 Underground FLX 135x41

Postby konetoniolo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 pm

I ride a 135x41 underground flx. is it a good boar for old school moves?

i dont like my pads (2009, already f***** 1 on up), and my handle, but Im working on that up

Im not confident enought to go higer than 3 to 4 mtrs. Is there any tricks to gain confidence? Or falling is the best way :P ?

adrood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave

Postby adrood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 pm

discojuggernaut wrote:The mako's strength is being able to carry speed smoothly, not pop. Try practicing going fast and hauling ass comfortably. Instead of trying to concentrate too much on the board's pop, try timing your kite sending with a piece of chop and try sending the kite back harder.

Ok . can do that i know that board how it works when you run and really love the way it glue to the water. when i send the kite harder back , i will just try to keep the way and just wait for the lift of the kite or i need at that time to put more pressure on the back foot. I am concerning the flat water no ramp so when ramp is available i could go even higher.

Konetoniolo the pad thing is difficult cause we all have different shape at feets. I really hated mystic D3O but really loved F-one pads . You have to try some. Now on your question , just get impact vest , helmet , go to deep enough waters so you wont have to worry about touching down if you fall and try. By time you get used to the lift and of course want more. But i still cant reach 6+ (go around 5-6 with ramps ) so i maybe not the best person to answer that

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Carving up the face of chop and launching off the top ... priceless!

Return to “Airstyle”