Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Big Air multiple rotations F-16 ouch

Postby bay surfer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Decided to go big and 720 or better Forward, after the first rotation felt the kite start to F-16 then flying through the air to a nice slam, ouch, ribs cracked. Was on a 12m Nemesis due to the higher wind, Never have this problem with my bigger kites, Anyway to recover when this happens, or to prevent it from happening?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Big Air multiple rotations F-16 ouch

Postby TheJoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:56 pm

bay surfer wrote:Decided to go big and 720 or better Forward, after the first rotation felt the kite start to F-16 then flying through the air to a nice slam, ouch, ribs cracked. Was on a 12m Nemesis due to the higher wind, Never have this problem with my bigger kites, Anyway to recover when this happens, or to prevent it from happening?
Don't pull with your back hand as you rotate. This is what caused the kite to loop. Stop your rotation by pulling to front hip. You can even move your front hand further from the center to counter pulling hard with your back hand.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:33 pm

im sure you arleady know this but 2 choices 1) commit to the loop pull harder, point the board downwind land hot and ride away smiling, 2) drop the bar, kick off the board ball up and splash. Bailing properly prevents injury.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm

It happened and has happened before on the second rotation, when I was facing the sky... when the kite Looped, by that time the kite should be heading back from zenith. I find that there is a time where pulling the lead hand to bring the kite back from Zenith during your rotation does not do anything, does that make sense?,,,seem you have to send the kite back once in the air.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Once kite starts looping u can't bring it back overhead finish the loop or bail

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:45 pm

I was out about 2/12 months from a similar situation this year (I was intentionally going for a hooked F-16). The failed F-16 occurred on feb 17, and still am a bit tender in the ribs.

I did not crack a rib, just "sprained" it, according to Drs.

I believe that my situation was aggravated by using a harness that was too big.

Regarding how to fix the situation once you are sent and the kite goes loopy... I would recommend to consciously remembering which is the front hand in order to focus on pulling on that one to finish the move. If you are looking to F-16 (hooked) then focus on the back hand and commit.

I had a kite that was a little off, where it would always tend towards one side, so jumping to that side required different timing than the opposite. The opposite site would often require a half-way decision to kiteloop to remedy a situation such as the one you are describing.

Regards,

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:17 pm

jrfiol wrote:I was out about 2/12 months from a similar situation this year (I was intentionally going for a hooked F-16). The failed F-16 occurred on feb 17, and still am a bit tender in the ribs.
Regards,
I understand pull the kite with the back hand hard to F-16, but when I start my first rotation in the air I pull moderately on the forward hand just like a plain jump. Not wanting to intentionally f-16.
Luck has it only cracked 2 ribs slightly by feel, better now a week off play, doesnt hurt much to cough now, ready to ride again, but not rotating for a while, I use a seat harness.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:22 pm

bay surfer wrote:
jrfiol wrote:I was out about 2/12 months from a similar situation this year (I was intentionally going for a hooked F-16). The failed F-16 occurred on feb 17, and still am a bit tender in the ribs.
Regards,
I understand pull the kite with the back hand hard to F-16, but when I start my first rotation in the air I pull moderately on the forward hand just like a plain jump.
Luck has it only cracked 2 ribs slightly by feel, better now a week off play, doesnt hurt much to cough now, ready to ride again, but not rotating for a while, I use a seat harness.

You are tougher than I,

I can barely paddle on a surfboard to this date. I guess I should get the rib looked at. Good luck with your kiting and recuperation!

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm

OK, I'm not sure if one has capacity to think and practice crashing, but I do the following instinctively and usually manage to survive shaken but not stirn - recently did a backroll kiteloop transition crash from 3m in. 26 knots on an 8m Vegas with only minor pain.

If I'm about to crash with accelerated horizontal speed due to kite going awol, I shoot out the bar (stops kite looping and pulling) with one hand and stretch out the body, with the other arm extended, slightly bend - trying to land in the direction of the pull, sideways so the stretched, slightly bent arm breaks the water and takes the initial impact and changes the body direction towards horizontal, then rest of the body slides in and glides over the surface, legs bent back to avoid board catching if still on. Kicking off the board is risky if one foot sticks - may work for you. The flat landing prevents hitting the bottom in shallow water and reduces impact forces by skipping over the surface. Sideways does less damage to the rib cage and reduces impact surface.
Part of this has also worked well in a few motorcycle crashes with only minor damage to the hand taking initial impact.

Of course, if you can stay in control and loop the kite through, that is better, but when that fails, the above goes.

As to harness, mine fits really snug below the ribcage, and stays there. I'm sure landing hard with the ribcage already compressed by the harness is less than ideal.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm

I think it's worth kicking off the board because in a major crash that board is coming off anyway. Mise well try to control how it comes off.

Return to “Airstyle”