Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Custom Airstyle T-Handle Developement

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Custom Airstyle Handlebar Developement - CNC production

Postby Macisback » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm

I wonder when Frederik is able to show us the first Prototypes of the fiberglass handles.

Meanwhile I start experimenting with aircraft alloy handles. They are 40% more durable than normal alloy. I start now at 3mm and also try 4mm.

Well, we will see whats best.

I now also start liking the the idea of using foam rubber (moosgummi) to cover the handle.
Same material as the grab rails. In combination with JB Weld glue maybe a real option.

It is just a quite difficult material to work with as it is flexible and therefore not easy to cut.

Well, I have a few more customising weekends in front of me I guess...;-)

I found theses materials for now, still trying to find the right stuff:

http://www.koepp.de/wDeutsch/produkte/m ... tAodGUoA_A

http://www.metall-kunststoffhandel.de/s ... 7e573518e4

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Guys there might be a soltion out there already. I happen to have a buddy with a Nobile board and he was complaining that the handle was to big. I had one look at it and immediately said I'll take it. Because the holes in the FR 128 are closer together the handle is now even higher. Its soft durable rubber and has a nice grip. I can easily put my foot in it, kick it back to my hand.... easy to grap out of the air etc

I will measure it tonight. Here is a pic it does not really show the height or size but you can get the idea.

Its bigger then it looks!

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 pm

A small update: The mold design is pretty much done and I will be printing them either Thursday or Friday. I think the design is printable (I have not 3D printed mold halves before so bear with me) now and the parts should pop out easily. So maybe I can do a prototype some time next week.

Cheers,
Fred

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

@ s1buell: I guess it is still not high enough?

@ Frederik: Cant wait to see it!!! Good job!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 am

Fred: sounds great!

Buell: I know this handle. For me it is too soft. You cannot give the board a direct impulse, e.g. Spinning it. Try a really hard handle and see the difference.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Toby wrote:Fred: sounds great!

Buell: I know this handle. For me it is too soft. You cannot give the board a direct impulse, e.g. Spinning it. Try a really hard handle and see the difference.
Really? I can spin 720 no issue. The one I have is fairly hard I can not twist it. However I'm always up to trying something new (like a 19m Edge lol)

Its also quite high. My foot slides right in up to my ankle. Easy to drop on the foot in air etc.

But like I said I would be into trying anything new. I like others have tried everything for a handle Bicycle parts included

Fred BTW great stuff looking forward to seeing the handle.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Tobi can you have a look at the attachement and tell me where exactly (A-D) your handles always broke?

As you can see in the posted tutorial for the T-Handle, I used a 1mm thicker alloy and different curves of bending (like suggested from FrederikS) so that there are no more weak spots.

But maybe if after testing for some month we find those monsters (that are still surprisingly light) are still breaking, I can fins a support (composite with 2nd alloy and JD Weld epoxy eg.)

As you have been a good boy (thanks for the 2014 Trailer) I will try to send you a handle as well with the grabrails that I developing.

I found a professional tinner (retired but still cant stop :-) ) that we could maybe use for all Airstyle related custom builds, he could build Handles and Grabrails, maybe even Microloops. He works together with one of the best CNC builders I have seen so far. Fantastic team, rock-solid quality and fair prices. Im not interested in any profit, but maybe if I ask him, he would be interested in offering that services (T-Handles, Grabrails, Microhooks/loops) via your shop.

THAT would be a massive help for the community!
Attachments
T-handle weakspots.pdf
(180.25 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 pm

That is so cool Macisback!

Haven't really gone further with the design here because of work and writing on my master. Once I am done with that I might make a few carbon parts for fun.

If you want some help with CAD drawings and stuff just let me know. The time consuming part was the manufacturing which I might get on with for March.

Good stuff :) It looks great with the bike handle cover on!

Cheers,
Fred

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm

wow, sounds fantastic!

It broke twice at A

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Very good (not that you broke it, but that its A)

Reason: with a dual layer of alloy on the flat part (and maybe a short way up the vertical part), in compound with JD weld epoxy or maybe even welded together, in combination with an industry washer (that is used for cars bodies) this will be an easy to solve problem.

I ask my tinner what he suggests and will come up with an improved version over the next weeks :-)

Return to “Airstyle”