All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Want a good seat harness
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 am 
Medium Poster

Toby wrote:
two years with one harness?
lucky you!

mine start to fall apart after few months!!!

Well Toby, my Mystic seat harness has 15 months of riding in Mexico (mostly Isla Holbox and Tulum) which is 3 winter seasons for me, and it's still ticking! There are a few wear spots but in okay shape and I'm pretty sure it'll get me through this winter season. Then something new. Hope to try the OR, ION and the new North seat harness. Bring 'em on down amigo's, let's compare. Ask at Tortugas or Tribu for "Bigotes"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:12 am 
Medium Poster

Just had the harness replaced under warranty with the latest model. The design of the leg straps has been changed and looks much stronger. Will see how it goes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

K1W1, what harness are you referring to?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Sounds like the Fusion - they changed the leg strap design layout on the 2013... my 2012 lasted longer :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am 
Medium Poster

I believe it must be the 2013 fusion unless they calling it a 2014?Anyway it’s their latest design and the leg straps are attached to a much stronger part of the harness so hopefully they won't tear out. Time will tell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

K1W1 wrote:
I believe it must be the 2013 fusion unless they calling it a 2014?Anyway it’s their latest design and the leg straps are attached to a much stronger part of the harness so hopefully they won't tear out. Time will tell

2013 was the first year with the new straps... as I said, the seat section on mine is falling apart :-?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

One more thing I will add.

I forgot the OR one session and had to use a friend’s fusion again. During the session I could not believe how restricted my legs felt. I had to add so much more force to bring my legs in and grab the board.

If you look at the design of these harness seat types they cover and hold on to your backside and the leg straps pull the backside material ever tighter to you. So every time you need to bring your legs in you have a tremendous amount for friction and pull created from the harness. You’re actually fighting against the harness to get your legs up and grab your board.

This one of the reasons I did not peruse the Patlove K harness I knew it would be the same.

So any of you guys that are going to test watch for this and see if you can feel the difference.

I really wish the OR had a spreader quick release but all things considered small price to pay (I will not complain about this to much :))

Also the OR will allow the fit of a waist harness and then requires very little legs strap input. If you’re doing tricks that require a lower hang point then you can really adjust the leg straps in hard thus lowering the hangpoint. If you want a really low hang point this might not be the harness for you.

Hope this helps you guys... Don't take my word for it try one first everyone likes different things.

I’m really curious to see what you guys think

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm glad OR don't do a quick release...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Medium Poster

I've used the Liquid Force Boardshorts (with a sliding hook / Dynabar) for the last year and a half. After experiencing different waist harnesses and "diaper" style seats, the boardshort's harness is my favorite.

The LF is a simple no-nonsense design that seems to be holding up very well. The best part is forgetting that I even have it on, aka comfortable. I like the slightly higher hook height verses some of the seat harnesses out there. From summer to winter (it even fits over my ION Fuse Drysuit) it's the only harness I now use.

For summer use, I'd also recommend wearing a pair of neoprene shorts underneath (1 to 2 mil is plenty). This will eliminate any potential chaffing on bare skin. Chaffing isn't usually an issue unless I'm riding all day, but again the neoprene shorts can make things more comfortable toward the end of a session.

Also, try using a sliding hook with any seat harness. Unless you're purely into wakestyle, the sliding hook gives your seat all the advantages of the waist harness without the pitfalls.

I have the 2009 model purchased on closeout (2nd photo) - nice price. And you can still find them online.

The new LF version comes with neoprene shorts, but I'm not sure how I feel about the stripes however (1st photo). Wearing boardshorts over a drysuit is somewhat of a fashion faux pas to begin with (not that my self esteem can't handle it), but stripes could only turn the look into a pajama party nightmare...Trying to envision it with a black/lime green ION Fuse drysuit.

I tried on the Dakine Nitrous Boardshorts Harness and my friend loves his ION Boardshorts (with a Dynabar sliding hook) as a well. The Nitrous is also very comfortable and has the lowest hook height of the three. You may or may not prefer this. I like a higher hook.

So there ya go, another option from the vast sea of opinions. Personal preference is always a matter of comfort (your body shape) and style (both aesthetic and riding skill/type). As always, try them on if possible.

Attachments:
new_liquid-force-styler-boardshort-harness-2013.jpeg
new_liquid-force-styler-boardshort-harness-2013.jpeg [ 1 MIB | Viewed 293 times ]
Boardshort_Seat__4d010fc6d87d8.jpg
Boardshort_Seat__4d010fc6d87d8.jpg [ 27.2 KIB | Viewed 293 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just ordered two more harnesses...making it 5 this year...

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next