All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: north bar question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:24 pm 
Rare Poster

Could anyone with experience with north bars help me out? I am new to north kites and just got a 2011 dyno. I am trying to tune the bar and lines. I want to have the maximum depower throw with the bar so I adjust the vario cleat close to the top pulley. However I would also like to have the maximum depower for the kite which looks like to me that you have to adjust the vario cleat farther back from the top pulley. How much distance between the top pulley and the vario cleat should I have ? Does having more that about 6-7 inches increase the ability to depower the kite?
thanks for any help

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: north bar question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

welcome to awesome Airstyle gear ;-)

You should do the depower as long as your arm is. So fully stretched your bar just hits the stopper.
Too long will be too inconvenience.

Then trim the kite that when fully sheeted in the kite has full power.

The rest will be extra depower if you need. For me with pretty long arms (186m height) I have about 12 cm or so between pulley and cleat when set to full power.

Attachments:
1 depower.png
1 depower.png [ 512.38 KIB | Viewed 702 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm 
Rare Poster

thanks Toby,
So when the stopper is pushed up as far as it goes and the depower strap is set to full power I set bar throw so that it reaches the stopper when my arms are fully extended. I do that by adjusting the vario cleat position. .
So what I am not sure about is then how do I trim the kite so that the kite has full power when fully sheeted in? Do I have line ends tied off and then pull bar all the way in and then adjust the cleat so the lines are all tight?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

have depower on full power and pull the bar all the way in...then the kite should pull the most. If it starts to fly backwards, the back lines are too short. If the kite does not pull at all, back lines are too long.

First adjust your depower length, then trim like that with moving the lines under the swimmer to different knots or on the pigtails on the kite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 pm 
Rare Poster

thanks I understand now.
Just got a couple of sessions in with the dyno 13m. .Wow the hang time is great! very stable feeling, good power in jumps. I got a microloop through airstyle and have installed it but haven't had any wind yet to try it. Had 31m lines but had to cut them back to 25m because our beach to launch and land is very small with on shore wind and the longer lines felt unsafe.
thanks again for the help

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

too bad about the lines!
Anyway...enjoy! :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 am 
Rare Poster

Oldpeople wrote:
Could anyone with experience with north bars help me out? I am new to north kites and just got a 2011 dyno. I am trying to tune the bar and lines. I want to have the maximum depower throw with the bar so I adjust the vario cleat close to the top pulley. However I would also like to have the maximum depower for the kite which looks like to me that you have to adjust the vario cleat farther back from the top pulley. How much distance between the top pulley and the vario cleat should I have ? Does having more that about 6-7 inches increase the ability to depower the kite?
thanks for any help

Changing the distance between top pulley and the vario cleat does NOT change the ability to depower the kite. What you increase in inches you loose under the vario cleat in bar throw.

To which kite can you compare the 13 dyno with? Or what kite where you used to?

Last edited by Zkatez on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Rare Poster

Toby wrote:
have depower on full power and pull the bar all the way in...then the kite should pull the most. If it starts to fly backwards, the back lines are too short. If the kite does not pull at all, back lines are too long.

First adjust your depower length, then trim like that with moving the lines under the swimmer to different knots or on the pigtails on the kite.

If you do this, you have to keep one bar for every kite. Or change every time.
If you do not want that, the way to tune the bar is to keep all lines same lenght.

Toby: If you tune the way you say, do you do this with light wind. Because in light wind you will notice backstall first?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I trim My bar with the kites in a way that I use one bar for all kites.

Safer to trim in lighter winds, but also works in a bit stronger wind.
Be aware of jumping the stronger the wind...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:03 pm 
Rare Poster

I am used to cabrinha switchblades. I was out today with the dyno 13m and I do love the 13m so far. doing my best, highest most controlled jumps and nice soft landings but I am used to being able to depower the kite more I am 75 kilots with 135 board and with 18kts I had kite fully depowered and it was very nice. but some squalls came through and I was way over powered and would have liked to depower more.

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next