Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

jumping help

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:34 am

I would appreciate any help. I have a dyno 13m and have been working on my jumping. I am getting some good height and hang times, however sometimes at the very end of my biggest jumps when I am coming down to land sometimes I sort of drift off and lose control and land more sideways rather than being able to turn the board and land downwind. it is always in about the last three seconds before hitting the water. When I pop I pull full power on the bar and try to hold full power the whole time in the air. Watching Toby's dvds he uses the microloop and appears to keep it hooked until the last moment before landing..
Should I keep the bar full powered down the whole time or after getting a boost should I ease the bar out a little bit so there is more play available? Should I try to keep steering the kite a little while in the air so I have some steering. It sort of feels like at the end I am just hanging with no control and just drifting.
Any tips would be really appreciated.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: jumping help

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 am

Sounds like you are getting already at lift off into a very slow rotation.
Should not be different with using a microloop.

But I also have quiet some time a bit of rotation in it...then I just finish the rotation.
Specially when doing a deadman or stiffy I get this slow rotation in.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: jumping help

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:37 am

Redirecting too soon or too much, is my guess. I've done the same thing myself...

Once you start doing jumps bigger than you're used to, you have to reprogram your body's timing. Instead of redirecting after the normal amount of time, hold the kite above you and wait till you're the right height* above the water.

Redirecting too soon or too much, you get lateral pull and get pulled around, sideways and either land on your side or blind :o

If you figure out in time that you've redirected too soon, you can down loop the kite and get more lift from it that way, but be aware that the kite goes back into the power zone so you can end up zooming off downwind - make sure you have the distance for it!

* what is the right height? Depends on the kite, but it's usually a lot lower than you think :)

Return to “Airstyle”