Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Airstyle tournaments

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Starsky wrote:KOTA has almost nothing in common with Toby style! Half or more of the competitors wore boots including the winner. Most were trying for massive loops with super lit landings. They were in high wind on 7-10 m kites. Jessie's signature move in those conditions is a kite loop handle pass.
that is correct, this is BIG AIR or even more MEGALOOPING. Not many different tricks shown their unfortunately, but insanely high! :thumb:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 am

Starsky wrote:KOTA has almost nothing in common with Toby style! Half or more of the competitors wore boots including the winner. Most were trying for massive loops with super lit landings. They were in high wind on 7-10 m kites. Jessie's signature move in those conditions is a kite loop handle pass.
Yeh i know theres no board off shit but didn't realise they do handle-passes in the middle of mega loops - that must take some balls!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 pm

They did board offs and one foots, sure only the ones with straps.
I still wonder how someone with boots could win, if they also judged variety...

TopLine
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fremantle, Western Australian Coast Line
Style: Kite Racing
Gear: Ozone Kites, TemaVento Race board, Taaroa Sword Foil and TMV foil board.
Brand Affiliation: Intheloop

Postby TopLine » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm

After kiting 12 years I am very much tired of doing and watching unhooked low level handle pass kiting. Sure its hard we all know that, but it is all very much the same thing over and over. Crash after crash. I race-board and foil currently and would love to see an Airstyle comp more often. When I started kiting we use to have these comps and it did very much bring in big crowds to watch the event. I remember even getting on TV with my mates on a Demo day. The last Freestyle (handle pass) comp I went to there were next to zero spectators, only friends and family of kiter's competing. Not great for sponsorship.

Thank you to the kiting purists for re vamping and bring back what makes kiting a great sport "Airtime" nothing better than Boosting huge and hanging around up there. I just love it.

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 pm

"kiting purists"

using that as a description of Toby or anyone who emulates his idea of kiteboarding is so far from reality that I almost don't know where to start.

Toby does not Kiteboard in a manner that 97% of kiteboarders can relate to.

How many kiters do you know or look up to at your beach who only have a 18m, 16m?

." " " " " " that think a 12 m is a small kite and as you get smaller kiteboarding is too dangerous and just not fun?

Toby has basically taken the kite out of kiteboarding, fly a kite so slow in the same way every time, no matter what you are doing underneath the kite. Where are the kite skills in that?

This mentality and the true niche aspect of AIRSTYLE are what will prevent any large competitions from ever happening. Think of how silly it would be to schedule a contest, draw the crowd, get the wind........oh oh its blowing perfect 9m, too much wind for the GODFATHER of the sport to compete.

I am not against boosting or any other way one decides to enjoy themselves kiteboarding. But to turn your back on the variety of ways that kiteboarding allows one to take advantage of all conditions well...... that doesn't sound very PURIST to me.

flying_dutchman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, en Ijmuiden
Style: Airstyle en wave style
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15 and 12m2 , Flysurfer Stoke 12, 9 and 6m2 + Flyradical 6 S
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer Kiteboarding

Postby flying_dutchman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Pure wake style is sooooooooo boring!

When you've seen one handle pass you've seen em all!!!

Airstyle is the Original style, and I'm not saying it is the best style.
But I do think it is the most entertaining style to watch.

I would like to see airstyle contest coming back to life again, even if it would be for amateurs.

If I could just win a new kite or something like that then it would be awesome!

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:18 pm

how can AIRSTYLE be the original style.

AIRSTYLE is a term created and used by Toby.

It is just his pigeonholed way of kiteboarding that nobody would know or care about if he didn't self promote it the only way it ever could have been, on his own forum. the only reason AIRSTYLE exists is because Toby owns the name Kiteforum.

there has and always will be boosting, but do not confuse AIRSTYLE with boosting and the roots of Kiteboarding cause it is just false propaganda .

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:18 pm

wow Jens, what is your mission here?

The sport should be happy there is one more aspect to it.

Why not have more extra comps with Airstyle, for those who like to compete and push into this direction?

We had an Airstyle world championship in Germany...some riders complained a lot and got titles and prize money, they wouldn't have without all this. Nice! Awesome! They should be happy and proud. But no return from those riders. They just don't get it what other people do and how much they could gain from it.

And sorry, but this is fact: the majority of the people on the beach prefer Airstyle over Freestyle. This includes spectators, media, normal kiters and organizers. Sorry, I get that feedback, not you or an Alex Pastor. Just talk to some other people rather than just your gang and you will know that there are other opinions.

Just accept, and do your thing and let others do theirs.

What you don't get: I am pushing my style, yes, but I also support all others, by having dedicated forums, supporting the pros, events etc.

Yes, there is more than Airstyle, and yes, there is way more than Wakestyle.

PS Jens: where is the kite skill when you keep it just low? :rollgrin:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:21 am

Not sure jens has any agenda other than to set the record straight. AIRSTYLE is absolutely the solitary mission of the owner of this forum. To claim that there was a world championship as proof of credibility and popularity is rediculous. The "world championship" in question was a one off test event with no prior qualifying criteria what so ever. To simply brand an exibition as a world championship doesn't make it one. If you doubt this is the case just ask the guy who won the "title" how little credibility he gives it. Didn't he compete in a rubber mask? If it had truly been such a spectator hit why did the organization who hosted it never hold another Airstyle comp ever again?

Slope style comp is the future. Well, that and waves and racing. Just because freestyle is a bore doesn't default the freestyle skiing of kiteboarding to legitimacy!

To further set the record straight. Old school was Toby's first term of choice, but no one back in the day did anything like what Toby does. They weren't on big kites or do any of his 666 tricks that are no more distinguishable from each other than one handle pass from the next. So if we're talking agendas, why is it that while talking out of one side of his mouth saying he promotes all disciplines of the sport why does he single out wake style for pot shots every chance he gets? Trust me, as many wave and freestyle guys laugh at Airstyle as wake guys. Toby, have you ever considered that the reason you only hear such overwhelmingly positive feedback is because those that aren't fans couldn't be bothered to run up to you on the beach and tell you so? The sport has been around for well over a decade now and without the persistent efforts on your part there would be no such thing as Airstyle. That's not the case for every other discipline in the sport. My only agenda here is keeping it real... And for the record, I don't hate what you do, it's impressive in its own way, it just nauseates me how you promote it. I don't see it as a worthy form of competition and am certainly not alone. If enough people out there wanted it, it would happen, but that hasn't been the case. I'm pretty sure this is the only forum on the internet with Airstyle as a category, I'm also pretty sure Toby has posted in every single one of its threads.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 am

not so sure about what Airstyle is

on the DVD trailer the elements of style – pointing toes, flapping arms , or doing army´s salute – is just something I can´t relate with

i would be surprise if the typicall crowd that follow action sports will ever bond to such a thing
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Airstyle”