Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Draft LWR Light Wind Relaunch System - Test & How to

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Draft with LWR Light Wind Relaunch System - Test

Postby Macisback » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Well, glad you like it!
I started this thread cause I didnt find any info on the web about the Naish LWR and snowkiting, neither a test. And the material from Naish is not up to date as the red ball in the LWR has gone and the black plastic ring inside the floater has been added.

I attached a few more photos, one where you see how the LWR system is attached to the kite (12m Draft), one where you see the little loops in the yellow line, one where you can see how i rolled the yellow line around the bar end (as the 12m has less distance on top from LWR attachement to the strut where it is attached then the 17m) and one with the floater and the plastic ring/pipe inside.

I fixed my destroyed floater with boat grip tape and inserted the black plastic ring - now its perfect!
The first loop in the yellow line is about 4m away and has no real power on it when pulling.

While snowkiting this weekend I had to relaunch one time to the other side without the LWR system, as I was close to a few bushes on the LWR side. I did not manage it for 15 min! (angle, wind, space has got to be perfect). Ended up taking off my board, walk throug kneedeeep snow, position myself 90 degree to the wind, roll the kite on its back, try 3-4 times and finally get the kite up again. Whilst in water thats easier because you stay where you are and let the kite do the walking, in snow its a nightmare (and in water not that much better)

With LWR, it takes about 3 sec from the moment you pull the yellow line.

Slowly I get used to the pull when it shoots through thepower zone - did it in 20-25 knots at the weekend. Just let go immediatly when the wing tip is off the ground.

So, my conclusion is once more - great system, great kite. But for comfortable kiting the Draft is comletely useless if no LWR is attached.

So if the 2015 Draft doesnt feature LWR (There is no reason why it shouldnt so far), I am left with two options - switching to Ozone Kites or find a sailmaker that manually creates the 3 attachements on the Draft and order a LWR attachement, so I will still be able to use the LWR.

Will report on how beginners get along with it son.
Attachments
IMAG0532.jpg
IMAG0487.jpg
IMAG0526.jpg
IMAG0524.jpg

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Re: Naish Draft LWR Light Wind Relaunch System - Test & How

Postby Macisback » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 am

I had a brief chat with a Naish representative and obviously the 2015 Drafts will have the LWR System again! (Yessss :-) )

They improved it by giving the kites a fixed LWR attachement that comes mounted on the kite.
So you dont have to worry if your LWR atachement is there or not, all you need is to order the LWR set and you are ready to go.

The new Drafts seem to have a slightly better relaunch as tests in Hawai showed, but I am sure in Lightwind conditions on snow and lakes that LWR is still the best investment you can have :-)

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:43 pm

I just figured out, that some people call the part that I called LWR attachement, relaunch bangees.

Furthermore if you think that the Draft has to much steering force on the bar, you can shorten the bridels with a fuse knot. Just google fuse knoten.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 am

Here you find instructions on a DIY solution I came up with lately:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385414

Return to “Airstyle”