Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Up-to-date list of Top Airstyle kites

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:50 pm

From my experience on lots of kites I couldn't disagree with you more strongly edt.

Also one thing that is missing a lot in this discussion is how predictable the kite is when in the air.

A lot of this is also related to how the kite responds to bar throw especially without a micro hook on the bar when you go beyond a sime board off.
I still haven't ridden to date a better kite than the Dyno 2011 for Airstyle.

A perfect blend of stability, static grunt and predictability in the air. Especially when hitting the upper range of the kite given board rider weight.

One kite I haven't flown is the draft though but just about every other one worth considering.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:32 pm

you disagree with everything? Correct me if I misunderstand but you think a small kite with high aspect ratio let's say a 13 meter cabrinha race kite like the cabrinha VMG will float for a longer time in the air than a big kite like for instance the 17m ozone zephyr with a medium aspect ratio?

I think the ozone zephyr is a great airstyle kite even though it's not a high aspect ratio kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 pm

A big problem is that they are trying to make the big kites as fast steering as possible, which is not good for Airstyle. I can land so many tricks because the Dyno 2011 is slow.

Just landed a new trick yesterday which I know I will never land on my Rebel 16!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

edt wrote:you disagree with everything? Correct me if I misunderstand but you think a small kite with high aspect ratio let's say a 13 meter cabrinha race kite like the cabrinha VMG will float for a longer time in the air than a big kite like for instance the 17m ozone zephyr with a medium aspect ratio?

I think the ozone zephyr is a great airstyle kite even though it's not a high aspect ratio kite.

I rode the zephyr for a season and a half, my brother still has one. He now also has a dyno 2011... :D

Problem with the zephyr is at the winds where jumping gets really suitable for air style the bar pressure gets higher and higher...it a doesn't have as much hang has the dyno....but yes we did all our stuff on that kite, it's not a bad option for sure.

If ya talking about kite size difference and aspect like above..no I don't disagree with what you said above re a 13/17.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:19 am

Westozzy wrote: I rode the zephyr for a season and a half, my brother still has one. He now also has a dyno 2011... :D

Problem with the zephyr is at the winds where jumping gets really suitable for air style the bar pressure gets higher and higher...it a doesn't have as much hang has the dyno....but yes we did all our stuff on that kite, it's not a bad option for sure.

If ya talking about kite size difference and aspect like above..no I don't disagree with what you said above re a 13/17.
ah ok. I haven't had a chance to ride a dyno yet, maybe I will some day and see what the fuss is all about.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:00 am

I also disagree with Edt. Aspect matters. The lower the wind speed the more it matters.

If you have kites the same size and the same type (eg both lei sle) the the kite with the higher aspect 9 times out of 10 will be the better jumping kite!

Why. I think its all about projected aspect ration. The higher aspect kite can generate more speed power/lift with aparent wind than its lower aspect brother. You can point upwind higher aswell.

So....

With the higher aspect kite you will be going faster = more aparent wind, more power, more pendulum action in the same wind.

Any way in practice the higher aspect kites do stay in the air longer. Until they are overpowered or the kite design does not match the conditions. The more disrupted the water conditions the better a low aspect kite works. Why? you can't get the board speed to take full advantage of the kites aspect. So a low aspect kite will jump reasonably from less board speed.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:59 am

i agree high aspect kites jump higher but airstyle is not about jumping high it is about the float on the way down. Big air is about jumping high.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 am

Well, it is also about height.
But if you have to decide for maximum height and less float or a bit less height and more glide, the second choice is the one to go for!

But if you can have both, perfect!

The higher you go the less tricks you will do...so there is too high...and that would be big air, right!

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:06 am

Yes the kite needs to be high aspect, but it also needs high camber, 30% more camber gives 30% more lift and it will continue lifting way better when the windspeed over the kite is getting slow, and therefore give much better consistent jump hangtime, the downside is more camber gives less range. Thick leadingedges also make higher camber and less range.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 am

Your weight affects the speed of the kite, the heavier you are more likely you will like longer lines for hangtime/airstyle. I like my Edge 19 for jumping way better with 32m lines than 27m.
Guttorm 110kg

Return to “Airstyle”